why did I try true spiders?

mo_2

Arachnopeon
Great now I'm addicted to something else!!! first I got what was supposed to be a red widow, but turned out to be a common spider found in the U.S and Canada. then i bought a tiny L. Variolis who in two months is about an inch long. My little red spider has dropped three egg sacks and the widows web is like plucking fishing line. I still love my T's but now I rank true spiders just as high.

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok that answers my quetions. I will have to stay away from true spiders till I can afford to be addicted to the two at once lol. :)

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
try being addicted to scorps, T's true spiders, snakes and now centipedes.. oh yeah.. lizards too

mo_2

Arachnopeon
I've been thinking of trying centepedes, I better not. I also got into birds and geckos will always be a love of mine. at least I'm only into P. imperator so scorps aren't a worry for me, well I would like to try a fattail. Damn it begins again LOL.and bettas are anouther weak spot for me.

aftershock

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The thing I love about true spiders(I prefer different kinds of huntsmen) is that they grow fast and that there's alot more action compared to tarantulas. My favourite is the Ctenidae(Cupinennius, Phoneutria, Ancyclometes and more...)

Besides the true spiders I really like funnelwebspiders; Hextathelidae and Dipluridae. Really nice mygalamorphs.

Widows are beautiful, but in my opinion boring... :)

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i like scorpions but for me they aren't nearly as addictive for me as tarantulas...millipedes on the other hand :eek:

CustomNature

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Okay, maybe someone on this thread could help me out. I love true spiders, but I havent kept many. The reason is because I dont know what kind of set up to put them in. If its possible, could any of you folks post some pics or descriptions of their web-casting true spiders' set ups?? I am keeping a few Argiopes I caught just as a test run, but they dont seem to be making their classic "writting web." I guess I should specify that I'm mostly asking about orb-weaver setups. I want to get some Nephila species, but I dont know how to accomidate their 2, 3, 4, 5ft webs?? :?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most arachnologists no longer use the term "true spiders" for araneomorph spiders, as it gives the false impression that mygalomorphs are not spiders. Of course, the books most of us use for reference haven't been updated in decades so it's understandable that the term is still in wide usage.

Anyway, Argiope can be set up in up-ended ten gallon aquariums or similar-sized containers. a few twigs stratigically arranged will give them a surface to attach their webs. Younger Nephila can be set up this way as well, but large specimens are often allowed to build a web free-range in the animal room. They do like higher humidity though, so if you have central air it might be too dry for that.

Wade

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
aftershock said:
The thing I love about true spiders(I prefer different kinds of huntsmen) is that they grow fast and that there's alot more action compared to tarantulas. My favourite is the Ctenidae(Cupinennius, Phoneutria, Ancyclometes and more...)

Besides the true spiders I really like funnelwebspiders; Hextathelidae and Dipluridae. Really nice mygalamorphs.

Widows are beautiful, but in my opinion boring... :)
have you ever seen a widow hunt?

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
mo_2 said:
I've been thinking of trying centepedes, I better not. I also got into birds and geckos will always be a love of mine. at least I'm only into P. imperator so scorps aren't a worry for me, well I would like to try a fattail. Damn it begins again LOL.and bettas are anouther weak spot for me.
if youre into emps.. the rest will follow... in time

mo_2

Arachnopeon
I also forgot to mention that I got my first vinegaroon about 6 months ago and I know there aren't alot of spcies but I could keep a dozen of just the one type. he's awsome. and to the guy that sugested the huntsmans DON"T get me wanting anouther type. I stilll have a tarantula wish list a mile long. and Wade you were very right I shoulden't have used true spiders :8o

Farom

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ScorpDemon said:
try being addicted to scorps, T's true spiders, snakes and now centipedes.. oh yeah.. lizards too
Haha, im with you there. Ive got the exact same list, only ive got mantids instead of centipedes. :)