Interesting...

Pathogenic

Arachnopeon
I've had a T for about 3 weeks now. He's a G. Rosea. I call him a "he" though I really don't know what he is yet. I've noticed that everytime I feed him a cricket, after he does his thing and grabs it, he always brings it to the same place right at the glass in front of me, and chows down. Do T's have a favorite place to eat or something? Or maybe he doesn't like his hideout? Any opinions?

NickS1004

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ya, im new to these things too.. and they are pretty interesting, each one seems to have its own personality.

mine also like to grab crickets and eat them in their "special" corner, usually theyll make themselves a dinner plate out of web and eat off of it.

Last edited:

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've had a rosea for almost a month, and she is a rather shy and timid spider, very rare that I can even try to handle her. She just loves to hide all day, and *maybe* come out in the wee hours of the night.
She comes out only briefly, and sometimes I can get her to crawl over my hands for a few mins, but often she evades me and goes back to her hiding spot.

When I feed her, she does not come out, no that won't do, nah, she just waits for the food to come to her in the convenience of her hide. She does the whole "feeding dance" under the hollow half log, and only comes out to discard any leftovers, or to take a dump.

I tried to coax her out of there once only just today (and wont try that again too soon), by touching her legs gently with a telescoping rod with a "Q" tip taped to one end.
She must have thought it was a cricket, because she latched onto it with her legs and slowly pulled it in towards her mouth ,and I felt her trying to fang the the rod a little. When she realized it wasn't food, she gently let go , then resumed hiding.

There wasn't any threat display, probably just mistook the swab for a possible snack (and even then she hesitated,as it was nowhere near as fast as her usual cricket grab), but I think I'll leave her alone for at least a few days just the same. Wouldn't want her to discover a taste for "finger foods" :eek:

Last edited:

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's funny you should mention that about a favorite eating spot because all of mine (except the teeny tiny slings) seem to have a favorite spot to eat. I have all my Ts (21) close to my puter & observe them a lot on a daily (& nightly) basis & they do definitely have an area that seems to be their dining area. :D

I have 2 roseas.....one male & one red phase female.....anyway.....both of them have hides but never use them. They are always out in the open & do move around their enclosures.

Beth

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have also observed the same thing with several of my T's. Espescially my first tarantula a G. rosea, which i got as a present from my wife a couple of years ago, is very tidy. She eats in one corner and puts the boluses(sp.?) in the opposit corner.

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've noticed that most of my Ts have one spot they eat in, one spot they depost left overs in and one spot they like to just hang out in doing nothing. :) They're creatures of habit. I don't know why they picked those particular spots, but I have noticed that they deposit leftovers as far from their hide as they can get, and where they just hang out is close to the hide.