Buying First T

TNewbie

Arachnopeon
Sorry if this is a re-post, but I couldent find the search button :wall:, shows you how computer savvy I am. But, anyways, I just went to a pet store to look at fish, and ran into the Reptile Area. Here, I found some T's that looked like good pets, and for $25 for a cage and a T, I was interested. I'm not really sure what type of species it was, and I don't have a really good description of it. I was just wondering what a good first-timer T would be, and how much they normally cost.

I've also read that female's live much longer than males. The second part of that question is how long does the average T live? I presume a couple of years, but am not compltely sure.

I was also wondering if the "cage", really a small plastic container, it comes in would be a good place for it to live. I seems to be content in there, but I'm not sure how long they have been there...

I also have a dog, a Jack Russel, and she dosen't seem like she would knock down the cage, and if I put it above my bed, on the headboard, I don't think she could reach it. But, then is putting a poisinous spider above your head a good idea? :?

Thanks for all the help guys, and sorry again if it's a re-post.

Edit: I also think that crickets would be the right meal for the spider. But, I don't think any local pet store around me has any. Could I buy them off of the net or would I have to feed it different food?

Also, I persume that these spiders make their own web. What should I do when they do? They don't seem to have a web in their containers now, at the pet store.

Also, hehe, what's a substrate? I've seen it in many posts, and am curious as to what it is.

Mark

Last edited:

Bellis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
First, the search button is in the top panel on the screen (right below the ad banner)

T's take 2-5 years to reach maturity depending on species size, the super hugelike ones take longer.. after that females will live another 15-30, depending on species the males only 1-3.

The container its in should be atleast 2.5 x 3 times the size of the spider (T's are generally measured from leg I to leg IV on one side)

Most T's are not THAT venomous, the ones that are go for alot more than $25 in any pet store. Above your bed should be fine as long as your sure its a very secure location.. i'm contstantly knocking things off my headboard and even a tiny fall could be fatal to the T, especially if theres anything in the container with him/her (fake trees, a hide, rocks ect..)

Ask someone at your petstore about crickets, they're probably kept in the back.. If all else fails you can order online but you'll need more housing for the crickets than for the T that way - they're only available in bulk :(

Some T's web more than others.. aboreals make tunnel webs and such in the top of the terrarium, terestials may or may not web at all.

And lastly - substrate is just the stuff you put at the bottom of the terrarium.. Peat moss, potting soil, vermiculite, bedabeast, and coconut bark are all common options, or a mix of a few of them.. i use 50/50 potting soil/peat moss for obligate burrowers and plain peat moss for aboreals but thats just me :)

Before you buy this T, ASK SOMEONE WHAT IT IS, some T's have very specific needs and you must be ready to meet them.

Beccas_824

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
First of all, its awsome that you are interested in getting a T but it sounds like you have a few things ot learn about keeping T's before you get one.
First and formost, you need to find out what kind of T they have in the petstore that you are interested in getting. Then you can find out specific things for its care-like how long it lives, is an Arbreal, does it need high humidity.

greenbay1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's a good thing that you've found the boards, Mark. It is a great place to learn and it will take you quite a while to absorb all the info that is here. I'm glad you are doing research before you purchase. Keep it up and welcome to a great hobby! :clap:

TNewbie

Arachnopeon
This is the website for the store I'm going to, although, I can't seem to find where they have a list of the T's that they sell.

http://bridgespets.com/

So, I don't know if this is much help...I've tried the reptiles section, where the T's are located, and no luck there. Thanks for the help though.

Mark

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, those are a whole lot of newbie questions, but I commend you on asking them rather than blundering into things, kudos to you. It seems your questions have been answered so I'd just like to say Welcome to the Boards.

Madeline

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you are wanting something to handle you might want a rosehair, B. albop, A. avic, or G, aureo. Those are only a few.

Snakecharm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm not trying to be nitpicky, but given that we're trying to help a newbie, there are a few points I'd like to clarify.

Bellis said:
T's take 2-5 years to reach maturity depending on species size, the super hugelike ones take longer.. after that females will live another 15-30, depending on species the males only 1-3.
Even 2-5 years is not an entirely accurate range. Many of the new world species including Brachypelma, Grammastola and Aphonopelma, take far longer than that to mature, and as such you may expect to have a male for longer than stated. There are some isolated pockets of Aphonopelma that have been estimated to not reach maturity until 20 years or more. It would not be unusual, for instance, to have a G. rosea or B. smithi male reach and/or surpass 10 years.

Most T's are not THAT venomous, the ones that are go for alot more than $25 in any pet store.
Not so fast. This is why research is so very important. You can find WC, adult Ts of many flavors in petstores for $25 or less. While a haplopelma genus tarantula is not precisely dangerous, their venom is strong enough to cause severe discomfort and lingering after effects, especially paired with a nasty attitude that makes them more likely to bite multiple times and not bite dry. I bought an H. vonwirthi at the local herp store for $15. And I've seen lovely cobalt blues elsewhere in that price range. I can tell you where to go right now to buy a $20 OBT, which I would neither give to a beginner, nor put on the headboard of my bed.

A rosie or an A. seemani? Sure, no problem, but many places have less innocuous spiders lurking in their deli cups and staff that will tell you what great pets they'd make for your child. This is one instance where it's much better to wear your water wings than assume the lifeguards know how to swim.

Ask someone at your petstore about crickets, they're probably kept in the back.. If all else fails you can order online but you'll need more housing for the crickets than for the T that way - they're only available in bulk :(
Feeder roaches rock, are easy to care for, and no stinky~

Before you buy this T, ASK SOMEONE WHAT IT IS, some T's have very specific needs and you must be ready to meet them.
This is good advice. However... be prepared that the pet store staff may not know what it is. Or, even better, they might give you the wrong information. We don't call 'em popcorn Ts for nothing. My best advice is decide what you want beforehand and look at as many pictures of that species as you can get your paws on. Then you know whether or not you're looking at the T of your dreams next time in the store.