My Cricket Colony

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Finally got some pictures of my colony which is getting on its way. I have two containers, one with adults and one with babies.

This is an overall view of the container with the baby crickets.

A close up of the nursery.

The adult container.

Some eggs waiting to hatch in the adult bin.

I check for dead crickets everyday and remove them asap. I also dampen the paper towel in the baby cricket cage every day and remove it if it starts to smell. Its much easier doing it this way than going to petco every other week for more crickets and alot more fun. Hope you enjoy.

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That seems to be a good way to do it. I like how you give them only one place to lay eggs so you can put the young in another container. I will have to set up something like that now that I have a ton of scorpions to feed. How many adults did you start out with? Is cat food all you feed them?

packer43064

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've been breeding crix for over a year now, and the setup looks pretty good, I use egg cartons though, but it's all cardboard so who cares.

And you can use cereal too, like Cherrios and dog and cat food, and other things. I use carrots, potatoes, sliced tomatoes, and lettuce, and cucumbers as their water sources.

I do what you do and take out the egg laying dish.

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought like 25 adult crickets from petco and put them in where i keep adult crickets with a bowl of dirt for eggs. Then i just take out the bowl a week later and put it in the baby cricket cage. I wait a week or two before i put another egg laying bowl in the adult cage so that i can just swap out the two bowls of dirt when the babies are done hatching.

The only thing i feed them is cat food, i have two cats so i have access to alot of it ;P . The first time i tried to make a colony it failed because some of the bigger crickets ate the smaller ones, that is why i keep the babies in seperate containers for now. But i think if you keep them well fed and have food in there all the time they won't resort to killing and eating eachother.

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
im in the process of setting something like this up.. only i will use 6-8 tubs.. so i have crickets hatching every week, and always have whatever size crickets i need in case anything becomes a mother and i need pinheads, 1/4" or whatever size i need.. i will always have it

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ScorpDemon said:
im in the process of setting something like this up.. only i will use 6-8 tubs.. so i have crickets hatching every week, and always have whatever size crickets i need in case anything becomes a mother and i need pinheads, 1/4" or whatever size i need.. i will always have it
Yeah i have been thinking about moving them to a bigger container...i just don't know where i would put it because i have a small room. I could always clear out space in my closet.

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm setting up some crickets today. I think I will leave the babys in the same container and see how it goes. If nothing else it will keep the population under control. I don't want to end up with too many crickets