Identify a scorpion.

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
its gotta be an L.Q i mean look at the dark segment on the tail thats like there trade mark.

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
looks identical to my deathstalker.. the mesosoma on mine is darker, but im almost positive that shes pre molt

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's the oddest colored L. quinquestriatus I've seen. The keels on the carapace are usually more noticable on L. quinquestriatus; but, the darkened metasoma is typical. It almost looks like a B. arenicola.

W. Smith

Last edited:

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i wanna know is that segment actualy dark like that or is that some kinda mess up on the camras part ? but if it is that color its a L.Q no doubt about it and plus the pincers on that scorpion are long and slender just like the L.Q as for the buthus sp the pincers are not as long and slender and they lack the dark segment on the tail. im gonna say its 100% L.Q :)

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i need better pics before I call that an L.q., but does look rather similar (could it be Leiurus quinquestriatus hebraeus which i've never seen?)

I don't see the right carapace "markings" L.q. traditionally have

Last edited:

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I don't think the coloration is odd at all. Classic Leiurus quinquestriatus. The colors are probably so vivid due to a relatively recent molt (last few months). Otherwise I see nothing particularly special about this one.

Note to Brandelmouche: Be advised that this species has very potent venom and could have serious systemic medical effects -possibly even death- if you were to get stung by this scorpion. Enjoy and take care.

John
];')

Brandelmouche

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks all of you.

My first idea was L.Q. but he have some diferant colors,i'm not fix yet defenitivly,i seatch more.

I am not a bigener , i have 13 diferants species for 15 years.I call you bac. :)

Sorry for my anglish. :8o

more pict.

Attachments

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
It definitely looks like Leiurus, but I like to see the definitive keels before I make a final judgement. They seem to be missing in the last picture, but I have seen in person one specimen where the keels were so weak that I had to look quite closely to see them.

The fun thing with Leiurus is that unlike any other scorpion, it has five keels on the first couple mesosomal segments. Brandelmouche, can you either look or get a better picture of the first segments behind the carapace? There should be five keels, with the two outside ones being rather oddly angled. I have attached a picture of what I mean -- I have put lines over the keels on one half of the scorpion and circled one of the lateral keels to show you what to look for.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Dave, others...if you look closely at the first photo above you can make out the middle three keels and look at the last photo above and you can see the angled sections on the 2nd and 3rd segments on the left side of the scorpion (Scorpions left side) of one of the 4th or 5th keels as you have circled in your photo...I can only assume the right side would match.

Now take a look at the enhanced images of those same two photos below. In the first image you can just make out 4 keels...the 5th being hidden over the horizon of the scorpion and in the second you can just make out the three central keels.

Remember folks; that color is one of the worst methods of identification...L.q. can range in color from ghostly green-white to bright yellow to bright orange as well as a variety of rather plain yellow-tan looking specemins and to the overly common yellow-grey variety. In this case the keels and the thin-elongated chela are the key...the ID key so to speak :rolleyes: ...Another thing to note on color...Take a look a the three original images above and pay particular attention to the color...It changes from one photo to the next doesn't it? It's all in the lighting. ;)

John
];')

Attachments

Brandelmouche

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hè. i take an other pict.

I have to thanks kugellager and skinheaddave.

i see the keel on the céphalo.i name it Leiurus quinquestriatus now ;)

Attachments