Has Anyone Ever Seen A T Molt Upright?

Beccas_824

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The reason why I am asking is because my L. parahybana sling did just that last night!
I was doing my rotuine feeding/watering and I noticed my L. paraybana looked funny. I knew it was getting ready to molt but upon closer inspection I saw that it hadn't flipped on its back. It looked very similar to the picture on page 30 of "The Tarantula's Keepers Guide" of the A. chalcodes molting upright.
This is my thrid molt with this sling, and both other times it flipped on its bcak to molt. I just thought it was really wired that it did this and I heard its kind of rare that a T/sling will actually ever molt like this. Does anyone know if there is a reason why a T might molt upright?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Beccas_824 said:
The reason why I am asking is because my L. parahybana sling did just that last night!
I was doing my rotuine feeding/watering and I noticed my L. paraybana looked funny. I knew it was getting ready to molt but upon closer inspection I saw that it hadn't flipped on its back. It looked very similar to the picture on page 30 of "The Tarantula's Keepers Guide" of the A. chalcodes molting upright.
This is my thrid molt with this sling, and both other times it flipped on its bcak to molt. I just thought it was really wired that it did this and I heard its kind of rare that a T/sling will actually ever molt like this. Does anyone know if there is a reason why a T might molt upright?
i've seen one ~.75" A. avic and a slightly smaller G. aureostriata do that.

I reckon when they are so small gravity and stuff is less important :)

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
My P. lugardi female that I got yesterday molted like 1 hour after I got her molted upright.

First time for everything I guess~! :?

Daywalker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my B. emilia molted upright standing in his waterdish about a month ago , waterdish almost empty at the time . he was about .60" . :? i thought it was strange and then figured what ever as long as it's molt was ok . :rolleyes:

Beccas_824

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Everything seems okay-and I figured it knew what it was doing, it was just a little odd to actually see that.

prodgers69

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My adult G. rosea moulted upright a few months ago, she managed ok, I was worried a bit, as I'd read they moulted on thier backs, I don't know how common this is.

greenbay1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I watched my E. campestratus molt the other day. She made her molting mat and then leaned against the side of her hide and molted. That was the first time I'd seen a T molt on their side. Never had one molt upright.

Icey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The avic in my pic did just that a couple of days after I got her, she placed her mat on the ground and then stood up and let gravity do the work for her, unfortunately she was injured and died about two weeks later.

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
one of my juvie chaco molted upright once.

she was on a dead curl position and it freak me out , I pick her up to see if shes ok then I saw the carapace starting to separate then I said....ooops she is molting.... :8o but shes fine now, about 4''.

evilarachnid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A few months ago my Theraphosa Lebondi molted upright and half way she must of got stuck. I came home and found her dead. :8o
Glad to hear your T molted ok.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've had a .5" B. klaasi molt upright.....made me nervous but it made it without incident.

Beccas_824

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Stracs-arachs said:
Did you snap a shot of him molting??
No, i didn't. i only have a cheesey web camera that is attached to my computer and I didn't want to move its deli cup while it was molting. Anyways, most T pics I take with it end up coming out really bad.
So i guess upright motling isn't as strange as I thought it was...it just looked so 'unnatural" and I was worried about it being okay.

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
evilarachnid said:
A few months ago my Theraphosa Lebondi molted upright and half way she must of got stuck.
How big was it, and was it wild caught or captive bred?

Steve

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've had about 6 Ts, of different species, molt in upright positions. That doesn't include arboreals.

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
My very first T did that on her first molt in my care.

She was a WC B smithii, full grown. I found her on her back. So I flipped her over. Twice. She managed to molt successfully, in spite of my idiotic help. The next year when I saw her on her back I left her alone. :wall: :wall: :wall:

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I saw many small T's molting that way, and an adult B. auratum molted on her side without any problem. :D

MysticKigh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My T pruriens 'walked out' of her moults for the first year I had her. She seems to have settled into a more standard oulting process since she passed the two inch mark though :) Also my A avic seems inclined to moult in a more upright position.

Becca

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My Brachypelma emilia moulted quite nicely in an upright position