Scorpions in Washington?

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm going to eastern Washington this weekend and I hear there is scorps over there. I would like to try and catch some while I'm there. I don't know anything about them though as far as where to find them and what type of areas they live in. I really don't even know what kind they are or what they look like. So I'm kinda taking a shot in the dark here. So if anyone knows anything at all about the scorpions in Washington and where I can find them please share.

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i go to eastern washington every once and a while and i hvnt found jack ! i know they got em but i havnt had any luck, hope you have better and if you do get any post some pix ! :) hears a scorpion you can find hear Paruroctonus boreus

Last edited:

final-sting

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i find this, i hope this help a littel bit:

Oregon, Washington

Iuridae

Anuroctonus
Anuroctonus phaiodactylus (Wood) (?)
Hadrurus
Hadrurus spadix Stahnke (?Washington)
Vaejovidae

Paruroctonus
Paruroctonus boreus (Girard)
Uroctonus
Uroctonus mordax mordax Thorell
Vaejovis
Vaejovis confusus Stahnke (?)
Vaejovis hirsuticauda Banks (?)

from here: CLICK ME

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
empi said:
I'm going to eastern Washington this weekend and I hear there is scorps over there. I would like to try and catch some while I'm there. I don't know anything about them though as far as where to find them and what type of areas they live in. I really don't even know what kind they are or what they look like. So I'm kinda taking a shot in the dark here. So if anyone knows anything at all about the scorpions in Washington and where I can find them please share.
I went to the old (no longer used) airstrip in Ephrata WA and found lots and lots of U. mordax. Just start flipping stones, you'll find bunches. :)

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i would also be willing to bet, that with some work, you can find H. spadix in the Walla Walla area....

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you guys know how far north they range? I will be in the wintrop area.

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
man i hope you find some cuz i just had no luck i found more rattle snakes then scorpions, but still best of luck to ya !

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I hope to catch some rattlers as well if I see any. They get the blood pumping pretty good too!

Arachno King

Arachnopeon
I guess I'll need to go out and see what I can find here in Yakima. :)

From what I've read Uroctonus mordax has only recently been established here in Washington.

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Arachno King said:

From what I've read Uroctonus mordax has only recently been established here in Washington.
If you find anything there post it. I will be going to Yakima in September for a car show and I would like to try and find some there as well.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Arachno King said:

May I ask where that information came from?, I did my collecting in 1987. I also found specimens in the Grand Coulee/Coulee Dam region.

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
U. mordax are definately not a new species to WA. they've been there for a LONG time

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tri cities area has some decent hunting spots for scorps. mostly P. boreus....

We used to got down for the columbia cup every year and at night we'd catch dozens of scorpions.

Arachno King

Arachnopeon
carpe scorpio said:
May I ask where that information came from?, I did my collecting in 1987. I also found specimens in the Grand Coulee/Coulee Dam region.
What I read can be found here
It does not say how recently, but if you've been collecting since 1987, I wouldn't really call that recently.

Last edited by a moderator:

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I'm back from eastern Washington and I do not have any scorps. Thats the bad news, the good news is I did see a couple. I was looking around in the hills for scorps and I saw a black widow for the first time and I tryed to catch it in a cup when I noticed that it had a ton of its victoms laying on the ground around its web. Upon closer inspection I saw that one of them was a scorpion. So I was disapointed that the fist scorpion I saw was dead but I was also impressed that the widow won the battle. So after that I found a live one under a rock. It had to be the smallest scorp I have ever seen and very fast I might add. Before I could catch him he took off like a bullet never to be seen again. But at least I got to see a couple and know where to find them in the future. And I did not come home empty handed either. I did get a male black widow and some ant lions and oh about 100 big black crickets to feed to all my critters. {D {D {D

Arachno King

Arachnopeon
I have not had a chance to go out down here yet and see what I can find. I am however preparing for my new buddies - Centruroides exilicauda pair. Set to arive later this week. :)

Very cool on your outing, not so cool on the dead scorp, but I guess that's nature for ya.

T-Virus_inc

Arachnopeon

These are the scorpions I find at my house in Yakima. can anyone fill me in with a name and just full on info. Please AND thank you! i'll post more pics if needed. i have a lot, just not on this computer=/