Lost a Sling :(

girlsfavtoy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Anyone know where slings usally likes to hide? H.gigas. These slings are hairy right? it is about 1/2. took my eyes off of it for about an hour and poof, gone! Thought it might've burrowed, shifted through the substrate 2 times and nada :( how long can a sling surivive in a bedroom/closet?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Took your eyes off it for an hour? Was it in its container or just out in the open?

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Plan for this to take a long time, but go through the closet first. Look in the tracks of the door, behind the molding in every single solitary crack and crevise whether you think it can squeeze in there or not. I would search the closet first and then go on to the rest of your room. You've got at least a week and possibly more if the sling can get to water and you don't step on it. If it burrows, you want to look in 'down' places. That can be a little confusing until you try and think like the sling. 'Down' can be down behind something on a high shelf, or down in the crack of the sliding tracks of your window, or inside a shoe in a box. Carefully scrutinize every piece of clothing, behind every book, keeping an eye out for likely and unlikely looking sling hides, and I mean look through e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. And when you find him, put him into something with a secure lid until you fix whatever allowed him to get out of his cage in the first place.

Good luck and let us know when you find him.

girlsfavtoy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
becca81 said:
Took your eyes off it for an hour? Was it in its container or just out in the open?
of course :D

it was a deli cup with a lid. maybe the hole was abit big? just used a hot needle. the other slings were in the same type of deli cup with lid. suprising thing about it is, this was the largest sling i had :(

Thanks Varden, i have alot of time on my hands today... but looking throught he clothing is gonna SUCK.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Unless it was a really big needle that you used to make the holes, I don't see how it could have gotten out. H. gigas will make a burrow rather quickly and you may just missed it when you went through the substrate the first time. When they have a lot of dirt on them they can be hard to see.

I recommend keeping the container closed and keeping an eye on it - it may still be in there.

girlsfavtoy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
that's what i was thinking also... but i went through that substrate many times over :(... if i were to of missed it. can it dig out if it wanted to?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah, it should be fine. I think it's likely huddled up, trying to blend in as best as possible.

girlsfavtoy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
spent 4 hours on this already :( i'm really hoping it's still in there(container), just in case i'll check the rest of the closet, cause that's where it `disapeared` from :)

girlsfavtoy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! I pretty much gave up after i went through my closet. Put my head down and was about to take a shower and lo and be hold, along the cable lines i found the sling :D :D :D