Rose Hair

nihilist326

Arachnopeon
i recently bought a rose hair tarantula and i was curious to know how much it would grow after its first molt.
any info would be great, thanks.

theevilreddevil

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
they are very slow growing and it also depends on the size of the spider whats the size of it now

Beccas_824

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Younger T's or slings tend to gorw significantly with each molt. As they get bigger they tend to not grow quite so much.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Without more information about it's current size, there is no way anyone can answer your question.

In general though, tarantulas molt much more frequently when they are small spidelings. Once they reach a couple of inches is size, the frequency of molting will decrease. Also, feeding schedules and temperature affect how quickly they will molt. In addition, small slings will tend to increase in size more than older/larger tarantulas.

R.W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Question:

the thread on how to "REALLY" care for your G. rosea said to give around 4-6 crickets every two weeks. I was wondering, should I give it those 4-6 crickets in a single week and then wait two weeks before doing it again, or should I spread those crickets out over the two weeks, like 2 crickets a week consistantly?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Question:

the thread on how to "REALLY" care for your G. rosea said to give around 4-6 crickets every two weeks. I was wondering, should I give it those 4-6 crickets in a single week and then wait two weeks before doing it again, or should I spread those crickets out over the two weeks, like 2 crickets a week consistantly?
You can do it either way you want, I like consistence though, so I'd go with that.

R.W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Right now I have a type of cypress mulch substrate for G. rosea but am starting to think that this is not such a good thing...

I know that there are many different options, but would a 50/50 or 60/40 mixture of peat moss and horti. vermiculite be a good substrate for her?

She is in a 10 gallon tank.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Right now I have a type of cypress mulch substrate for G. rosea but am starting to think that this is not such a good thing...

I know that there are many different options, but would a 50/50 or 60/40 mixture of peat moss and horti. vermiculite be a good substrate for her?

Whats wrong with 100% peat? Thats all I have used for years.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah, 100% peat is perfectly fine.

That seems like overkill. You're going to have to waste a LOT of substrate getting the soil high enough that the distance from dirt to ceiling = the legspan of the spider or so. I wouldn't put anything smaller than like 6-7" in a 10g, otherwise the tank is more than half dirt. {D

R.W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Seeing as I'm going to be switching out the cypress mulch for peat moss, I figured I would use the cypress mulch I take out for my corn snakes new bedding. Any suggestions on how to clean/disinfect a substrate like cypress mulch?

Also, can I put the peat moss into the tank straight out of the bag or do I need to do anything to it first?

Twistedrayne

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use peat moss. I don't know if you have to do it, but I bake my dirt in half a cup of water to clean it. I did this because there were these weird little bugs in my dirt that were killing my crickets. My spider seems happier too now that I've done this.

I do have a question though. While cleaning up my new spider's tank I found what looked to be the old molt of a cobalt. I switched my bigger spider into the new smallers tank because it was larger and from what I thought better for her. Every since I switched them out my big girl won't eat. Does it have to do with those peices of molt I found? Should I bake her dirt too? Any times would be great. I'm worried about her. Both my girls are Rose Hairs by the way.