my new 5 legged T

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
I found an adult H Lividum in a pet store who had shared a divided (it was one of plastic things for dividing fish tanks) 10 gal. tank with an adult emp. The T got into the emps. side and as a result lost 3 legs, I'm actually surprised that she survived the encounter. The T is able to get around just fine and doesn't show any ill effects. The injuries appear to be older and is already scabbed over. What would be a reasonable time for it to get its legs back? One, two, maybe 3 molts? I'll try to post a pic tomorrow. I've given her an ample supply of water and she's taken to her new housing really well.

king7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my G.rosea lost 1 leg and with its next moult it was back,not as long or fat as the others but it was there. :)

MikeW

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She should have them back by the next molt, but they'll be thinner than the other legs. One or two more molts after that and you won't even notice the difference probably. Sounds like a hardy little T.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mr Ed said:
I found an adult H Lividum in a pet store who had shared a divided (it was one of plastic things for dividing fish tanks) 10 gal. tank with an adult emp. The T got into the emps. side and as a result lost 3 legs, I'm actually surprised that she survived the encounter. The T is able to get around just fine and doesn't show any ill effects. The injuries appear to be older and is already scabbed over. What would be a reasonable time for it to get its legs back? One, two, maybe 3 molts? I'll try to post a pic tomorrow. I've given her an ample supply of water and she's taken to her new housing really well.

leg III on the side closer to the camera was completely missing when i bought this G.rosea right about a year ago. She molted last night {D
i'd say that leg is ~2/3 the length of the others, but much frailer

A number of things determine how large a replacement leg is, but a huge deal is how long before the molt. Obviously, the longer the time to grow the new leg the better. interesting note: the replacement leg for my girl was *inside* the stump (coxa) of the old one, if i remember my reading correctly

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
She's doing really good, when I first got her she was constantly giving me threat poses, she's calmed down now. I'll have some pics tomorrow

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good luck, i hope everything turns out alright for her.

-Mattyb

Nivek

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I will use this thread as an opportunity to ask a question that has been on my mind as of late. When an appendage is replaces, just how is it done? I know that the exoskeleton simply regenerates during a molt, but the wall my mind hits is "Where?" In a molt, the T sheds its old skin to grow, but if it has no appendage, does the new appendage just pop out of nowhere? Sorry to ask, but it bugs me to no end to wonder about it so much :wall: :wall: