Feeding bigger Prey Items

Rach

Arachnopeon
Hi there,

I'm really new to this forum, was just wondering what are your views on this topic?

Is it true that if you feed a T blondie ( or maybe somethin like a M robustum) crickets and roaches all it's life, they'll never attain the full size they should grow to??

What bigger prey items do you guys suggest feeding?

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would be shocked if it were shown that feeding smaller prey resulted in a smaller tarantula, at least insofar as an individual spider is concerned. It is possible that large tarantula species are large at least in part as an adaptation to large prey; if this is the case, then feeding smaller prey over many, many generations would remove the selective pressure. It wouldn't create any pressure toward smaller adults in a direct way, but it would allow more drift.

Some roaches are big enough that I don't consider them small. If you want to go bigger than that and stick with whole animals, your only practical option is rodents.

Steve

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's also possible to buy frozen, pre-killed quail and chicken chicks, some tarantulas will take them thawed and warmed.

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've always indulged my T's in the occaisional vertebrate but nothing that could cause bodily harm. I always thought that much like calcium for vertebrates, phosporus is important for invertebrates in the same manner. So given that I wouldn't see too many problems with a majority insect diet. I guess I take the middle ground on this one and try to feed my spiders a variety, just to be safe.

aaronrefalo

Arachnolord
Old Timer
aquiering certain size you can also feed fuzzies or pre killed mice....you can even feed anoles...

Aaron

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As long as you feed your spider enough each meal and don't malnourish it you'll never need to use anything other than crickets.

Karmashadowsh

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the feeding

I feed all my T's anything from pinhead to adult crickets,for my T.Blondie,C.Huahini,P.Murinus and P.Striata i give them treasts once in a while of fuzzies/hoppers and they seam to love them.