getting a trap door

trapdoor1989

Arachnopeon
hi, inm gettign a trapdoor spider, my second spider i have ever had, erm well i need ot now as much as possible if you could tell me all you now and what i nee to do, it would be a great help thanks!!!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Charlie

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
you need to get a tank, im using a 10 gallon.. fill it at least half way with moist packed peat, get you a lid for the tank, put some moss on top of the peat, spanish moss works good, start a hole somewhere.. put the spider in there with the deli cup it comes in, take the lid off, wait for it to come out and get away from the deli cup.. get the deli cup out safely, put the lid back on.. keep it dark, and never ever open the lid unless you are feeding (about once a week).. and under no circumstances ever try to handle it

trapdoor1989

Arachnopeon
erm..............thanks great tips.....i was wondering does the lid need to be tight or no i mean i have had a turantula before and it escaped fro mthe tanks and well never to be seen again, with this one does it need to be tightly fitted, i have heard it doesnt??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

thanks for your help....oh do they need feeing once or twice a week with crickets?

thanks

charlie

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've heard that they're not good climbers, but given their reputed toxicity, I'd opt for the tight-fitting lid on the enclosure.

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have 2 trapdoor spiders (Gorgyrella). One is black and one is red. The red is the largest at about 2 inches. I have never had a worry. A ten gallon tank is a waste of money however. I have mine in about a quart sized tank. I have it filled with strictly topsoil. I used my hemostats to make the hole. Leave the loose dirt around the mouth of the hole - it will use this for its door. They are very defensive little buggers. I have held mine before - but I do not advise it. That is really all the care you need for them. I like to use topsoil because it packs better than peat. As far as feeding, just keep two crickets in there at all times. Just go to an arts and craft store and pick up a plastic box and drill some holes. You'll be fine. But be prepared... you will never see it.

JJJoshua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Once they make a burrow they will rarely, if ever come out. I got one last summer and since then have not seen it. Only disappearing crickets. They are quite boring.

Jetzie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
do we have to start a burrow for it ? my red trapdoor has been in her enclosure4 of packed peat with spaghnum moss on top for 3 days already but she hasnt even starting to start a burrow.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Exactly how toxic are they?

Are they fatal hot or just 'wish you were dead' hot?

JJJoshua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Moisten the soil really well. They won't burrow unless they feel totally comfortable with the soil they're on.

Depends on what type of trap door spider you are talking about, I have a B. Californicum, which is not (I think) as toxic as the african species.

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The Australian Trapdoors are the most poisonous - if memory serves me well. Make your trapdoor a burrow. Don't let it sit out, it makes it nervous and it may die as a result. Just use a pair of hemostats and the handle of a plastic cooking spoon to make a hole. The kinda shoo it in there. Don't pack it down, just kinda get it to the point where it is in the mouth of the hole.

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Uhhh... you stumped me Evil. Put it this way, just don't get bitten. It doesn't matter if it s fatal or painful - it ill still ruin your weekend (or life). From what I remember, they will not kill you - don't quote me on that, but they will hurt like mother bloody hell. Think Poeky.