T. blondi on jay leno

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well there was a guy on jay leno recently, did any of you see this, anways he pulled out his T. blondi and held it and passed it around to jay leno and stuff. I dunno about you guys but my blondi has kind of an attitude. Is there any way to keep my blondi from being real mean?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most Tarantulas once outside of their enclosures are more concearned with finding a hole to hide in, But while in their enviormoent many will feel trapped and EXTREMELY stressed and become quiet defensive, While I do not Support handling a tarantula for the hell of it most of them are fine once out of their homes. Thats Probably why the blondi was handalble on Jay leno. I know several people got upsett about the show you are refering to but bad publicity is publicity. [I never watched it so I will save any opinoons that I may gather LOL]

Puppet Master

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would be upset too, it was in a small tank and then Jay dropped it onto his desk, I dont like people how take T's and just shove them into someones face and say here hold it and then go off and talk about somthing else.

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have not personally seen that show, either, was it a mature adult? I have a 9" female, and she has one heck of an attitude. She is not handlable AT ALL. So can you imagine, if you are not in the hobby, having a blondi shoved in your face, esp. if it was a bigger one? I think that would scare most people. No one will even stay in the room with me if I open her enclosure.....I have a rosie that isn't too bad, but I still don't mess with her except to clean, since I don't want to upset her, or any of my other Ts. We can only hope that the small enclosure you saw on the show was just to transport the T, and he has a proper set-up at home. Some people only want blondis to show off. He sounds like one!

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Every spider, even the same species, can be very different in terms of personality.

For example, I have 2 P. murinus RCF that are very laid-back and non-aggressive and I have an A. seemani that goes into a threat pose when I walk by.

As for T. blondi, they will certainly become more defensive when they are in their hide/enclosure and some will still be very defensive when out in the open. As is evident from pictures on the boards, T. blondi has been handled by many people....

Big and Hairy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Speaking of T's on television, I was watching a program on Discovery the other night called "Amazon Abyss." It was really cool, and was about divers checking out the unknown depths of the Amazon river. While there, one lady did some exploring in the jungle with a native, and while walking along they came up on a spider burrow. The native found a big A. Geniculata in the burrow and picked it up. It was beautiful. That's the first time I have ever seen an A. Genic on national television.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ah now I see why people are upsett, He dropped it? Probably Arachnophobic, most people are-and having a Large Hairy Spider- shovedi n your nose is not good for the arachnophobe or msot people, and deffiantly not good for the spider, I don't think people should be upsett at jay himself but the neglectful owner. I feel it sorta falls under the loaded gun situation

Puppet Master

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It wasnt Jays falt, the guy who brought the T out had brought out a bunch of other arachnids as well and was showing them to the crowd, then the guy pulled out a centipead and was talking about how dagerous it was and he then put it back into its tank, then he pulled out the T. blondi and then just handed it to Jay, he did real well then the centipead got out and the bug guy just compleatly forgot about Jay and the T. blondi and started to talk about the centipead again, and then Jay wanted to see the Centipead again and that is when Jay dropped the T. blondi.

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
are arboreals like aviculara stronger in terms of taken falls?? ive dropped (well they jumped) a couple on hard floors and they were totally fine. or spiders busting open on impact just an exageration??/

Letsgochopping

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have seen this guy on television before. I think its sort of a mixed bag though. Is he showing people that tarantulas aren't the monsters people make them out to be? probably. Is he showing people with no experience how to treat a tarantula respect? not really. Is putting a live spider in your mouth a stupid, stupid idea? yup pretty dumb. my two cents.