B.Smithi Question

Pepperyfox

Arachnopeon
Hi Ya'll,

I've kept tarantulas for several years now. Most of them were arboreal species and I watched the males mature and then die several months later. I've been doing some research on terrestrial species like the B. Smithi's and it says that the males can live up to seven years. Is this really accurate? I am particularly interested because I have a male of this species (B. Smithi) which has recently molted into maturity. I have a younger female, who isn't mature.. and I am wondering whether it is feasible to wait for the female to mature so I can breed the two. Or, is my male likely to die while in wait?

Thanks,
Pepper

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
How big is your female?

If you don't want your male to die a virgin and your female isn't ready, you will have no problem finding someone to send it to for a breeding loan (hint, hint ;) )

Pepperyfox

Arachnopeon
My Female is about 5", but she's really aggressive towards the male when I put them together. This is my first attempt at breeding tarantulas..but I'm pretty sure her trying to kill him is a sign that she's not interested.

~Pepper

Elmolax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pepperyfox said:
My Female is about 5", but she's really aggressive towards the male when I put them together. This is my first attempt at breeding tarantulas..but I'm pretty sure her trying to kill him is a sign that she's not interested.

~Pepper
Well if she isn't mature that doesnt seem healthy o_O (chomp chomp, hehe). Anyway, I have heard of them living up to 5 years, but not 7 (yet)
Gl anyway. =)

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Whens the last time the female moulted? Cause her next moult she should mature. Good luck :)