Average time?

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
After my T has flipped onto its back how long does the molting process take?
I noticed her flipped over about 11am she is still flipped but hasn't even split her skin yet. Knowing my luck I'm going to go to work and miss the whole thing. :(
How long after she is done until I can try to remove her old skin? I should wait at least a week before feeding again, right?

aaronrefalo

Arachnolord
Old Timer
first of all it depends on the species of T...then on the size of the T...small T always moult immediatly...so i think yours isnt so small....the most i can say is that a 2.5" T.blondi had remained still upside down for approx 7 hours....what species is yours?

Aaron

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G Rosea about 2.5in. I'm going to miss it while I'm at work. :( :mad: :evil:

aaronrefalo

Arachnolord
Old Timer
G.rosea take evy thing slowly hehe...so this means youll find a moulted T back from work...i wish you all luck!!

Aaron

Huk7

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
aaronrefalo said:
G.rosea take evy thing slowly hehe...so this means youll find a moulted T back from work...i wish you all luck!!

Aaron
I agree, I think that this is almost guaranteed!!! Sorry! :rolleyes:

Regarding you other questions:

If she is not touching the moult and it is easily accessible (i.e. not disturbing the spider), remove the moult straight away. However, if she is on it or is blocking it, then leave it until she moves away from it.

Leave it at least a week before feeding her, she will handle this time with ease at that size.

Hope this is of some use.

xWARxPATHx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
juggalo69 said:
G Rosea about 2.5in. I'm going to miss it while I'm at work. :( :mad: :evil:
I have yet to see any of my tarantulas come out of their molt. I'm at work or not at home when it happens.

theevilreddevil

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yep i have missed my 2 biggest spiders moult witch were 4 inchs when they fliped on there backs

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Rosies are SO slow that you MIGHT get to go to work and still see something...
My B.vagans (3.5" pre) flipped last night at about 9pm and had not moved when I went to bed at 1-1:30. This morning, fresh new spider... little brat is sitting in front of molt and I cannot get it without bugging the T.... patience...

a Rosie was my first molt ever and I stayed up all night... it took about 18 hours before she started to emerge and close to 24 to be finished.
God, I was so tired but pumped!
Kept posting and asking questions...
Got made fun of as a "newbie" here on the boards, but lovingly.

Lately they always flip just as I am leaving town!
Feels like coming home to a new collection... and often hungry by then!
Leave it alone, watch, and wait a week before your T becomes an eating machine.
Then - crickets beware!

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She was done by the time I got home. It was a good molt though. By the time I got home she had moved enough to where I could get at the shed, take it out, and get it to lay flat without breaking it.

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mist it to make it more pliant, if you want a more "lifelike" pose.

Otherwise it will snap like dry leaf if you manipulate too much.
I use a stone under to prop it up while re-drying.
(the MOLT that is, not the T!)
I've heard alcohol, but never tried. Anyone else have tips?
;)

ilovebugs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think mine are usually 10 - 14 hours.

I usually stick the shed in a case or something flat. Once I got creative and posed it on styrofoam with toothpicks and got a real sweet threat pose, fangs out and everything.