G. Rosea Molt Problem

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wanted to get some feedback about molting problems that we have experienced with one of our G. Rosea. She has seemed "not quite right" for about a month now...being very lethargic and constantly hovering over her water bowl (despite the fact that humidity was normal). We suspected a molt because of the lethargy and that she wasn't taking food, but the constant need to be near water despite normal humidity concerned us. She did start molting upright on Saturday and because we were concerned she wouldn't be able to molt successfully upright, we gently turned her. In the end though, she seemed to get stuck with her front right leg and pedipalp in the old skin. Actually it wasn't really stuck, but it was almost like she just stopped molting because when I went in to help her out, the skin slid right off with no trouble whatsoever. The problem is though that she came out smaller and duller than she was pre-molt, she is missing patches of hair in some places, and the right front leg and pedipalp that were "stuck" are misshapen. It seems like she started to hardened before finishing the molt, so the leg and the pedipalp are bent backwards (like up towards the sky when she is upright) in the shape they were stuck in in the old skin. It's been three days since the molt and she still barely moves and when she does she just seems to shuffle and get kinda tangled in the misshapened leg. If it was just the leg I wouldn't be concerned (maybe it would just right itself in the next molt), but her behavior leading up to the molt just seemed off for her and the fact that she is smaller and duller post-molt makes me think something else must be wrong. We have 17 T's and have never had anything like this happen with the others. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this experience with one of their T's, any thoughts on what might be the cause, or suggestions for getting her through this okay.

Thanks so much guys!
Karen

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do you know how old is she? If she is fairly old she could be nearing the end of her life. HOw long have you had her?

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We aren't sure exactly how old she is, but she's not fully mature just yet. I'm not near the skin right now or else I'd measure it, but I would guess she is only about 3 1/2 inches so she probably isn't too old.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Also I was noticing today that when she does try to walk it's almost as if she can't support her own weight even with the good legs. I've heard of plenty of tarantulas losing a leg or more and being fine as long as their fangs were undamaged. It's almost like her muscles aren't working and the most she can do is try to drag herself along the ground. It's just very strange. Please help if you know what's wrong.

Thanks.