Sling Burrowing Behaviour

The_Monk

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I purchased 5 slings about 3 weeks ago and they are doing fine. Two of them my b. smithi and n. chromatus each made themselves a burrow and I come home this evening to find that both the burrows are blocked up with a ton (well a ton to the size of the sling) of earth! Are they alright or is it some tragic digging accident? I dont want to disturb them incase they might be molting or something. The smithi has even killed the cricket I put in last night, left it, and gone. Is this premolt behaviour, just being unsocialable, or need emergency excavations? :? :?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The_Monk said:
I purchased 5 slings about 3 weeks ago and they are doing fine. Two of them my b. smithi and n. chromatus each made themselves a burrow and I come home this evening to find that both the burrows are blocked up with a ton (well a ton to the size of the sling) of earth! Are they alright or is it some tragic digging accident? I dont want to disturb them incase they might be molting or something. The smithi has even killed the cricket I put in last night, left it, and gone. Is this premolt behaviour, just being unsocialable, or need emergency excavations? :? :?

the spiders are MUCH stronger than that little amount of dirt
they did it themselves :)

no worries :)

oh, and i'd leave them be and not disturb them... they could be molting

if the vials are dry, they might be trying to conserve humidity

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
also, most of my Brachypelma/Aphonopelma slings burrow. these guys are from very hot and dry areas, and must make a burrow to survive

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is nothing to worry about. Normally this is a sign of a pre-molt, but not always. They will be fine. I had a G. aureostriata sling stay blocked in for over 2 months once. I did provide a little water during that time, but stopped feeding. The burrow was blocked enough that I knew it wasn't going to eat. Once it opened the burrow up again, I started feeding.

girlsfavtoy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
This is nothing to worry about. Normally this is a sign of a pre-molt, but not always. They will be fine. I had a G. aureostriata sling stay blocked in for over 2 months once. I did provide a little water during that time, but stopped feeding. The burrow was blocked enough that I knew it wasn't going to eat. Once it opened the burrow up again, I started feeding.
MY A.G is doing the same thing, has made a burrow at the bottom of the water bottle and blocked itself in. my other slings burrow also, i barly get to see my H.Gigas. They look nice once they molt though, light blue/greyish color :D.