Help please with cricket keeper housing

Imegnixs_Cinder

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok Im not sure if this is in right section or not sorry. My friend has just bought a cricket keeper he has 6 T's, but we can't figure out for life of us how to get the crickets into the keeper without loosing half of them in the process. Any help please?

xWARxPATHx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How did you buy the crickets? I always get my crickets from the petstore. They come in a plastic bag and I just empty the contents into the kritter keeper.

xWARxPATHx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Imegnixs_Cinder said:
The crickets are in plastic tubs with a tight lid.
If the tub can fit in the Kritter Keeper place it inside then take off the lid. Once you get the lid off just flip it over real quickly shake it and take it out. That should help reduce the risk of losing your crickets.

Prewt

Arachnopeon
If the place you buy crickets from keeps selling them in a tub, buy a funnel at ur local store. They sell them in all sizes. Look in the kitchen tool section of the store. Just open tub, put funnel over thge top, invert over kricket keeper and shake / tap. :D
David

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The one and only time I ever bought crickets in bulk I ran into a similar problem, which I did not solve. The result was a few hundred crickets free-ranging in my house. ;) I'm not a big cricket fan, for lots of reasons, and I haven't bought any for at least two years, a fact that brings me quite a bit of joy.

Steve

Imegnixs_Cinder

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awww defour, I think they are kinda cute! Doesn't bother me if they escape, but my friend I think has different opinions to me lol.
Going to get my friend to sign up here I think, Im playing piggy in the middle atm.

meatbeef

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I usually tear a corner off the bag and shake them in, no hassles or worries.
Or, maybe the pet store will put them in for you???
Just a thought...

Robbio

odinn7

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If the container will fit into the refridgerator, put it in there for a few minutes to slow them down. They will be much easier to handle. Just be careful that you don't keep them in there too long.

Wikkids_Wench

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Easiest way we've found is to take your crockets into the bathroom, shut the door, put the plug in the bath and transfer them in there - they can't climb the sides, can very rarely jump high enough to escape and are easy to see and grab against the inside of the bath. Means you can avoid shaking any dead crickets, cricket 'bits' or faeces into the new container too, which does help a bit with the smell.

Imegnixs_Cinder

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ohhh fantastic idea, thanks Wikkids_Wench! I feel like saying Dohhh now for not thinking of that myself lol

Baruta

Arachnopeon
Firstly my thanks to Imegnixs Cinders for initially posting my question. In hindsight , perhaps i should have purchased the large cricket keeper, which would have made things a little easier.It looks like im going to have to try and transfer the crickets from the plastic tub to the cricket keeper and possibly lose quite a few. The garden seems the best place to do this and the neighbours can enjoy the evening chorus of the escapees. :D

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
defour said:
The one and only time I ever bought crickets in bulk I ran into a similar problem, which I did not solve. The result was a few hundred crickets free-ranging in my house. ;) I'm not a big cricket fan, for lots of reasons, and I haven't bought any for at least two years, a fact that brings me quite a bit of joy.

Steve
So what do you feed ur T's???????
...I've considered roaches, but they don't fare much beyond the ranks of crix in my eyes. Don't want raoches escaping either.
I share your aversion to crickets. Can't stand them, can't catch them with tweezers, and always lose a few in the house. Did I mention that I hate them? They reek, they lay eggs, and they make a racket!

The transfer question seems to be pretty much answered. I would ask the pet store to use a plastic bag or you can just use the little plastic tub as the cricket keeper.

Conan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My advise would be to pour all the crickets into boiling water...just kidding- but really...i hate crickets. If your gonna stay with crix PetCo sells this little KK that has black tubes that stick out of the sides, and the crix go in there. That is what i used when i had crix, worked really well.

The best thing IMO woud be to buy roaches from a dealer, the dont stink-you will find that crickets omit the most putrid stench ever. I would rather have a dead skunk in my room than three dozen crickets. Roaches breed like rabbits, very low mainenance, dont die on you, can be easily controlled unlike crix, and if they escape you dont have to go to work on only 2 hours of sleep-because it can happen :wall: They come cheap and you will never have to make another trip.

Imegnixs_Cinder

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Shudders at mention of roaches!
I like crickets, but roaches deff are NOT cute! I had a live one in my mouth as a kid by accident, have horrible phobia of them now lol.

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I personally think crickets are disgusting creatures. Lobster roaches are by far a superior feed. On a more serious note crickets aren't that "easy" to maintain, any shipments above 80 and they normally cook below 70 they freeze with little sucess in revitalization. They stink, they eat each other and the scuttle flies really like em. The key with crickets is lots of food and limited numbers. Since I work at a petstore it's much easier to take home crickets daily because frankly when you mantain thousands at work you don't want to do it at home.

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have the same keeper with the black tubes for my crix. Most pet stores that sell live crix will allow you to take you keeper in with you and they will fill it up themselves. But if your store will not allow this, I find that ripping the corner off the bag and shaking is the best way. Since yours come in a plastic container, the fridge idea is another option. Or invest in some small paper bags yourself and see if they will put them in a bag for you instead of a plastic container. But check with them to see if you can bring your keeper in with you to be filled! It saves me alot of hassle with those crix!;)

Imegnixs_Cinder

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All the shops over here in the UK that I have come across don't actually keep the crickets as such. They just order them in bulk from bigger companys, they arrive at the shops in tubs then the shops sell the tubs on to the public. Im thinking the US has the better deal here! I buy mine from o/l stores now, namely livefood.co.uk they live much longer than shop bought ones but still come in tubs rather than bags. Can't say I have ever noticed a smell from crickets tho!

nightbreed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You could try putting the tub inside a plastic bag, seal the bag then open the tub and shake the cricks out, then all you have to do is snip a corner off the bag and shake the little blighters into the cricket keeper (if that makes any sense)
job done :D

P.S you have no sense of smell ;) {D