cocunut fiber for blondi substrate?

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Has anyone used this? I'm about to move my girl to a larger environment. Currently she sits on 8" of a 50/50 peat/soil mix, with a 1" layer of river pebbles underneath and watering tubes down into the rocks. That setup, along with a piece of glass that covers 80% of the top, keeps the humidity up (the air is bone-dry here).

Well, I can't find any more plain soil for the larger tank - it all has additives now. What about using just Eco-Earth (coconut bark)? Still use the watering tubes?

Thx,
John

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
look at your other post and it will answer this question too.

cloud711

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In my opinion i think your t blondi will do just fine with a coconut fiber for substrate. to maintain the humidity try using the false bottom method like you mentioned. Im sure this will work out very well. currently i use only coconut fiber for substrate. All my t's dont seem to have any problem with the substrate. give it a try and see if it works out for you. :)

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have read alot of people keep them on dry substrate with no problems whatsoever

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Coconut substrate will be just fine, and I am one of those who keeps my blondi's on the dryer side...

Regards, Mike

BLS Blondi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So far, so good

everything you say makes sense. But remember...T. blondi do not live on coconut bark, nor have an irrigation system in nature. I think most people are a little paranoid about taking proper care. Remember, they thrive in nature where they do not have coconut bark, do not have parasite- free food (they also may not eat regularly like captives). Just keep him/her in a humid environment with lots of topsoil. You can mix vermiculite, peat moss, bark mulch, (pesticide-free of course). I have over 20 T. blondi and they are each in 30 gallon tanks that have 8-9" of straight topsoil with a retreat and a large shallow water dish. besides feeding the hell out of them, there isn't much else you have to do. If you want to do all that, it sounds fine, just realize it is not all necessary, but won't hurt. I would avoid coconut bark though. They don't have in nature, so why put it there? If you need topsoil, use some from your backyard. I know of many people that use it and even though there might be microbes, worms, etc. in there there seems to be an ecosystem that is self-controlling so it will not effect the spider. By using bagged soil, if mold or mites get in, they will take over the tank because they are the only ones there. But many people that use natural soil have alot of success because everything keeps itself in check. Good luck.