Two new tarantula Species described!

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi all,

Boris Striffler and I would like to let you know that a new paper on the Theraphosid subfamily Ornithoctoninae was published by us.
We redefined the Ornithoctoninae genera, transferred Haplopelma hainanum and Haplopelma huwenum from the genus Ornithoctonus, transfered Ornithoctonus costalis from Haplopelma, declared the Species Haplopelma chrysothrix Schmidt & Samm 2005 nomen nudum and Haplopelma vonwirthi Schmidt 2005 nomen nudum as not valid and therefore not available in the sense of the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature and described two new species of the Ornithoctoninae Subfamily: Ornithoctonus aureotibialis (= common Pettrade name: Thailand black - Haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum") and Haplopelma longipes (= common Pettrade name: Haplopelma sp. "longipedum"):

Volker von Wirth & Boris F. Striffler
Neue Erkenntnisse zur Vogelspinnen – Unterfamilie Ornithoctoninae, mit Beschreibung von Ornithoctonus aureotibialis sp. n. und Haplopelma longipes sp. n. (Araneae, Theraphosidae)

Abstract:
New insights to the subfamily Ornithoctoninae are presented and its genera are redefined. Moreover two new species are described, which have been subject of studies by the senior author for many years.
Ornithoctonus aureotibialis sp. n. can be distinguished from all other Ornithoctonus species by an orange – golden fringe of hairs on retrolateral side of patella and tibia of leg I and II. The other new species, Haplopelma longipes sp. n., is easily recognised by its very long leg IV (RF < 90) in females.
Ornithoctonus aureotibialis sp. n., is long time known in pet trade as Haplopelma sp. “aureopilosum”. It was recently described by SCHMIDT & SAMM 2005 as “Haplopelma chrysothrix”, a name, which is not available according to the ICZN, as no type depository was included in the description. The same happened with “Haplopelma vonwirthi” SCHMIDT 2005, which is unavailable as well, but is most probably a synonym of Haplopelma minax (THORELL 1897).

The genera Haplopelma and Ornithoctonus consist now of the following species, which means some re-labelling for some of you :razz: ;) :

Genus Ornithoctonus :
Ornithoctonus andersoni POCOCK 1892 (Type species)
Ornithoctonus aureotibialis VON WIRTH & STRIFFLER 2005
Ornithoctonus costalis (SCHMIDT 1998) comb. n.

Genus Haplopelma :
Haplopelma doriae (THORELL 1890) (Type Species)
Haplopelma robustum (STRAND 1907)
Haplopelma salangense (STRAND 1907)

Haplopelma minax group

Haplopelma albostriatum (SIMON 1886)
Haplopelma lividum SMITH 1996
Haplopelma longipes VON WIRTH & STRIFFLER 2005
Haplopelma minax (THORELL 1890)

Haplopelma schmidti group

Haplopelma hainanum (LIANG ET. AL. 1999)
Haplopelma huwenum (WANG, PENG & XIE 1993) comb. n.
Haplopelma schmidti VON WIRTH 1991 comb. n.

We thought that might be of interest for you.

All the best,
Volker and Boris

P.S: Here is the complete reference:
VON WIRTH, V. & B. F. STRIFFLER (2005). Neue Erkenntnisse zur Vogelspinnen – Unterfamilie Ornithoctoninae, mit Beschreibung von Ornithoctonus aureotibialis sp. n. und Haplopelma longipes sp. n. (Araneae, Theraphosidae). Arthropoda 13 (2): 2-27.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Congrats on the publication and thanks for the hard work!

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Excellent work Volker! Well done to both you and Boris :)

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

please understand, but I don't want to tell about the differences of both Species here in the public at the moment, because Boris and I are working on a paper which will resolve the "problem" Haplopelma schmidti vs. Haplopelma huwena. After this publication is comming out, you'll see clearer concerning both tarantulas. Btw, you should still name the large chinese tarantula (what is the common name used in the Pettrade for H. schmitdi?) as Haplopelma schmidti! ;)
As long, as there is no official scientific publication about a synonymisation of both Species, both Speciesnames will be valid!

Cheers, Volker

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
OK , I understand that :]

You've done greate job !! :]

Last edited:

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
VolkervonWirth said:
The same happened with “Haplopelma vonwirthi” SCHMIDT 2005, which is unavailable as well, but is most probably a synonym of Haplopelma minax (THORELL 1897).
Question:
So this would mean H. minax range from northern Burma over northern Thailand and over Laos and into Vietnam?
Acctually I do not think these two species looks identical, not in color (i know...) and not in body shape. What makes you think so?

/Lelle

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
Question:
What makes you think so?

/Lelle
Hi Lelle,

the comparison between the taxonomic relevant characters of the Haplopelma minax Material and the "Haplopelma sp. Vietnam" (= Haplopelma vonwirthi nomen nudum) Material, which I have examined.

Cheers, Volker

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
:clap: Great job!! I, for one, am thrilled to have this "longipedum" thing cleared up. I'm trying to collect every Haplopelma, and sometimes I'm not sure WHICH black one I have!:worship:

Strange, my Ornithoctonus andersoni has NOTHING in common with a Hap, she's a gentle, suede brown creature with no attitude at all!;)

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
:clap: :clap: :worship: :worship: :clap: :clap:

Congrats..

Taxonomy is exhausting work ( or so I hear from my Biology co-workers )

AND a BIG THANKS for the heads up on these papers !!

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
=MizM

Strange, my Ornithoctonus andersoni has NOTHING in common with a Hap, she's a gentle, suede brown creature with no attitude at all!;)
Hi,

does your Ornithoctonus andersoni look like the one in our description of Ornithoctonus aureotibialis and Haplopelma longipes (DOWNLOAD HERE)? If it looks more uniform brown, like the species below, I bet it is a Chilobrachys Species, because especially this brownish one was very often sold as "Ornithoctonus andersoni", although it has absolutely nothing to do with the Ornithoctoninae! It is a little bit like selling a 88' Chevy Camaro with a 305 Engine under the Name "Plymouth Barracuda with a 426 Hemi". That IS something different!;) ;) Another example: It's like inviting me to a METALLICA Concert :worship: :worship: :worship: and then POISON
comes on the stage.
Good examples???;) :) :D
Cheers, Volker

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Hey, what's wrong with Poison?!:D

Thanks for the great info Mr. VonWirth, I'm very interested in these species, and I enjoy reading about them. Though I must admit, your posts sometimes confuse the bejebus out of me!:rolleyes:

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Volker,
what do you think about the range - do you think this species is found isolated in Vietnam?

Lorgakor said:
Hey, what's wrong with Poison?!:D
They made albums.

/Lelle

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Lelle,

I don't know the complete distribution Area of Haplopelma sp. Vietnam, but the Material which is imported into the (german) Pet trade comes from a region 30KM northern from Saigon.

Cheers, Volker

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
VolkervonWirth said:
Hi,

does your Ornithoctonus andersoni look like the one in our description of Ornithoctonus aureotibialis and Haplopelma longipes (DOWNLOAD HERE)? If it looks more uniform brown, like the species below, I bet it is a Chilobrachys Species, because especially this brownish one was very often sold as "Ornithoctonus andersoni", although it has absolutely nothing to do with the Ornithoctoninae! It is a little bit like selling a 88' Chevy Camaro with a 305 Engine under the Name "Plymouth Barracuda with a 426 Hemi". That IS something different!;) ;) Another example: It's like inviting me to a METALLICA Concert :worship: :worship: :worship: and then POISON
comes on the stage.
Good examples???;) :) :D
Cheers, Volker
A 426 Hemi!! O.K. NOW I'm turned on!!:rolleyes: Do you want to come to the concert if Poison OPENS for Metallica?

I will take photos tonight. She is a deep chocolate brown, and quite large, I'd say 6"-7" span. I don't know why, but I associate Chilobrachys with my fimbriatus, small, webby and fierce!

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
VolkervonWirth said:
It's like inviting me to a METALLICA Concert :worship: :worship: :worship: and then POISON
And I always had you pegged for a STRYPER fan :eek: (is that how you spell it, LOL)

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
I think using the band name "POISON" in the same paragraph as Chilobrachys is deeply hurtful to the spider :embarrassed:.

Talking of Stryper Christian metal's not all bad i saw Extol support Opeth this year and they were not to bad but they used to be a death act at one I time I believe.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Here she is Martin, sold as Ornithoctonus andersoni :

Popcorn anyone?;)

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
MizM said:
Popcorn anyone?;)
Lovely spiders them and that a real nice one :D, i don't think this one is popcorn at all, in fact the first two pages of another brown spider thread may apply.