How long after the last mite...

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well my C. Marg seems to be rid of his mites finally. Its been a long haul of cleaning and keeping it dry, but I think I've seen the last of those white lil buggers. Now my only question is, after this last mite, how long can I worry about eggs? Are they totally gone? Or will I get mites again sometime after putting him in a proper environment?

He has alot of kinda white on his carapace, I'll post pics later, but it looks like he has chalk on him. I dont really know how to describe it better, he just looks dirty but its white dirt. I'm just wondering if this is mite feces or really small eggs? It doesnt come off when i brush at it.

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try puting pill bugs in your tank. They eat all the stuff that the mites like to eat so the mites starve to death.

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Unless they -the mites- are eating his scorpion :eek:.

White "stuff" on your scorp doesn't sound good at all, but without pics nobody can really advise you. Did you "nuke" your substrate and thoroughly clean out the entire set up (tank, water dish, cork hides, rocks e.t.c.)? That is the only way to get rid of mites and their eggs.

If they are on your scorp you need to remove them, or they will keep breeding and the scorp will become totally infested and die.

Goodluck.

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yup, rotated him through critter keepers for quite a while actually, nuking substrate, wiping them off him. He's been in quarrantine since I got him actually. I tried the pillbugs last week, but I think they died due to the dryness :eek:
anyway, just took these, the white shows up ok, but did reflect some of the light. I'm sure you'll notice what I mean though. It looks a bit powdery on his dark shell.

Attachments

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Looks like some kind of fungal infection to me, but I think one of the experts on here should take a look and give you some sound advice. Especially since it is hard to see with those pictures.

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
thanks for the response.
ya he wasnt too interested in sitting still once i got him in the light to take the pictures. He pretty much came that way when I got him, he was just loaded with mites.

this was when I first got him.

So now I'm just wondering about this white stuff. I was under the impression it could be mite poop, or at worse some eggs.

If I find more batteries and time tonight I'll try to get better pics of the white.

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
At first glance it just looks like some kind of mold - ???

If it was mites, you'd see them moving and you'd be able to remove them with tweezers and/or possibly a small paint brush or something. Mite eggs are microscopic... and mycosis is always black as far as I know, right? (could be wrong)

It could be another kind of fungal infection. But I am not sure. And again, the pics are not bad, but not good enough for me to even attempt a ? D.

:confused:

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
parabuthus said:
Looks like some kind of fungal infection to me...Especially since it is hard to see with those pictures.
Hi,

I second that. As far as you can tell by the pics it looks more like fungus than mites. Are you having a microscope maybe? Looking at this stuff under the microscope could solve if it´s mites or fungus.

Regards
Alex

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No microscope, but I'll try to get a better macro pic. Maybe he'll settle down cause its a lil darker out now. I'll see what I can do when I get home. I'm certainly not putting him in the large tank if hes got more problems now. :confused:

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Have you tried scrubbing him off? I imagine it would hate it 100X more than an emp would, but it may do the trick...
Just tail em in the bathroom, an stick em under warm running water, and scrub em off with q-tips or something of the like.

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have thought of it, but up until now mites were still a problem and I didnt want to give them any moisture to work with. It might be worth trying now thought.

And yes, he will hate it, loathe might be the more proper term. I'll try to post a better picture when I get home for someone to look at, then I may attempt the scrubbing if anyone things its a good idea at that time.

Predator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont know what to offer for advice. If you do try scrubbing it off hes really really not going to like you. Whatever you do good luck. At least things are looking better than before.