@@@ Local San Bernardino County, CA, USA scorpions @@@

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't know what these are... i've gotten stung a couple of times an absolutely nothing happens. That seems to be my reaction to Vaejovid venom... and we have a bunch of Vaejovids in CA, and these sort of look like Vaejovids... but i don't know what they are =P

This scorpion is about ~2" long, i believe

Hi-Res

Different scorp, i dug this one out of a couple thousand pounds of rocks. About 1.5" (4cm) long.

Hi-Res

Hi-Res

I found this scorp under a mattress in The Wastelands... a spot moderately close to my house. It is too hard to describe, but i will get pics of the area one day :) This guy almost ran up my pants when i was trying to catch it, made it as far as my shoe. So now it's name is "Shoey". About 1.5-2" (4-5cm) long.

Hi-Res

Hi-Res

Hi-Res

Hi-Res

This is the first scorpion i found in San Bernardino County. I found it almost by accident. It was in an abandoned and caved-in rodent burrow. I found it basically on the surface during the day in 100*F temperature... tough cookie :)

Hi-Res

Hi-Res

Hi-Res

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nice finds! Has there been any moisture up there lately? I'll be in the San Bernardino/Loma Linda/Ontario/Colton area for a day next week. I'm thinking about taking a quick hike in the Box Springs Canyon area. I'll be sure to post a picture or two if I find anything.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks liek the lil ones I caught awhile back, Congrads I new you could find em, although they can be hard when you live in the cities :) Theres also some Andocts out there aswell, Do a search for my user name in this forum, or I will later. see if I can find the threads I started to get htem ID'd

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
GQ. said:
Nice finds! Has there been any moisture up there lately? I'll be in the San Bernardino/Loma Linda/Ontario/Colton area for a day next week. I'm thinking about taking a quick hike in the Box Springs Canyon area. I'll be sure to post a picture or two if I find anything.
it was misty/drizzling (Who Is The Drizzle!?) this morning, and has generally been cooler and cloudier the last 3-4 days.

there is generally condensation in the mornings year round, in my experience, in most of So. CA, i think that is what most bugs drink during the dry season.

like TheNothing (and others, i'm sure) have said... it's all about the microhabitat :)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
since this is for local scorps...

here is a scorp i caught in Los Angeles County, in Pomona, CA. it has since died, but i really want to find and culture more!

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
actually
the one in the second group of pictures does look like it might be Vaejovis confusus

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
TheNothing said:
actually
the one in the second group of pictures does look like it might be Vaejovis confusus
ah crap

you think the four might not all be the same species?

dang, i'm going to have to buy an expensive book to key them, i think, i f i want to safely breed these guys

ooh, maybe i can find something at a university library

these guys are VERY reactive... like i mentioned i've already been stung a number of times by them :)

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah
thats what I like US natives
most all of them are super active and agressive....

good luck finding a book to key them, you're gonna have to track down individual papers.

Not sure that they're all the same, but could be... thats the problem with Vaejovidae though, so many species and you can only tell 5 of them apart :D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those first few pics look similar to a Serradigitus spp. Not sure if that is correct or not though.

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh man
good call Brian
dunno why i didn't think of that
S. gertschi gertschi is usually darker...

Serradigitus wupatkiensis perhaps?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just a hint Caco, AZ might be the scorp capital of the states, but California has double the species count, making them all so much more fun to identify, if you can find any damn human settlements

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi.

Yep good luck LOL.

I wonder why I have a file of papers/reprints/pdf to discuss such issues.

Cheers.

Sinc. Chad

TheNothing said:
good luck finding a book to key them, you're gonna have to track down individual papers.
Not sure that they're all the same, but could be... thats the problem with Vaejovidae though, so many species and you can only tell 5 of them apart :D