solfigud/sun spider behavior

drolkp

Arachnopeon
i'm new to raising these creatures and i was wondering is it normal for them to burrow and then completely close themselves in like a bear in hibernation? or is this signs of near death?

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi.

I don't have much experience with them in captivity but their life spans are very short/seasonal for US species. I kept one large Eremobates from NM a couple years ago and it ended up burrowing to the side of the round container. She provided eggs (don't remember if in a burrow or on surface) but weeks later she made her final burrow as to die and was upright in position (e.g., laying on "back"). It seemed that I provided the right conditions for her to provide the eggs and that the sandy soil was compacted enough that she dug her last burrow and never moved again. Nothing resulted from the eggs.

That memory will never escape me.

Very odd to observe a solpugid in a state of motion less in an chamber when months before she was wandering the wilds like crazy.

drolkp said:
i'm new to raising these creatures and i was wondering is it normal for them to burrow and then completely close themselves in like a bear in hibernation? or is this signs of near death?

drolkp

Arachnopeon
thanks for the info... does anyone have knowledge on successfully raising baby solifugid or more info in general?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There is a book, "The Biology of Camel Spiders" by Fred Punzo. He has a chapter on rearing them (he was working with Eremobates). The book is ridiculously expensive. I have a copy, unfortunately it's not handy at the moment.

Wade

splateree

Arachnopeon
Hi, Ken here, I am blessed to lilve in an aerea where these wonderous creatures live. As I watch them it looks like they roam over acres of space and eat almost anything, and a lot of it !! To keep even one would take a huge tank with lots of prey. They can climb glass, even upside down!! They are very fast (like lizard fast) and will bite if given the oppuertunity. My friend John saw a stink bug tear one apart, so be warned there. enter solpugid into a search engine and go to the University of Arizona website they have some good info. The mother appearantly dies when the young are ready to leave the nest. Peace and Good Luck, Ken