H. Lividum housing question.

DanHalen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey guys. First time post here! :D

I've a quick question regarding the housing of my H. Lividum. I bought her a week ago (I'm assuming, and hoping it's a her, as I've called her Cate and dont want to give her a complex if it turns out to be a him :} ) from a local pet shop. The shop has been dealing in inverts and herps for about 11/12 years or so and have a good reputation.

I've not actually seen them stock a cobalt before, and was compelled to buy her ( a little pricy though: £45/$80.05). However, I'm not particularly inspired by the included enclosure (I added the temp and humidity guages myself):

For a start, the lid has alot of holes - which is horrible for keeping the 80% or so humidity required, so I taped alot of those up - from the outside. I've included a deodorant spray can in the picture for scale. The spider could pretty much wrap its legs around the top. It's not much bigger than that. So she's small, but quite stocky.

At the moment Cate seems quite content. She's made 3 entrances to her burrow under the bark. One at the front, one to the mid left, and one to the rear right. She's feeding well, and often comes out for a little stroll at night. She's made herself a deeper pit right in the center of the enclosure, and made a web tube in the hollow of the log.

However, I'm concerned that this is not an ideal enclosure and there may prove difficulties when it comes to moult? This is my first old world burrower, would a taller enclosure prove more suitable with a deeper substrate?

Any thoughts?

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
More substrate would be a bit better, and a water dish will be just fine, there is no need to stress over humidity, either then that good luck...I keep all my spiders on the dry side with a water dish....

Regards, Mike

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You're right in thinking that the enclosure isn't the most suitable and, as Mike H. said, you really don't need to stress over the humidity.

Something as simple as this will work for burrowers:

DanHalen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi. Thankyou both very much for getting back to me so quickly. I've just had a look at the photograph I took, and the tank looks soaking! :8o

I'd just sprayed it, but in general, the tank hangs around 70-75% humidity. I'd researched before making the purchase, and most sites list 80%+ So I assumed this was an absolute. She seems to be doing ok at 75%, so I'll just play it by ear and not worry so much.

I'll be investing in an upright container, similar to the one that becca81 listed.

Wish me luck transporting her! I've read the stories, and I know how fast she can move! :eek:

Thanks again guys.

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We have ours in an enclosure about the same size as yours. There is a lot of substrate in her tank because they do love to burrow. When you say you taped it from the outside are you saying that the sticky side is facing where she or he may crawl on to? We always tape ours from the inside out so that they don't have a chance of getting stuck. We also don't worry too much about the humidity. As mentioned above if you add a water dish to the enclosure your T should be a happy little camper.

DanHalen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There's not much tape at all. If you look at the top of the enclosure you should see how narrow the gaps are, but there are many of them.

Cate's legs are much wider than the slits in the lid. I would have thought that the chances of her becoming stuck were marginal considering how thick the plastic actually is. The leg would have to squeeze in between the narrow gaps, and then push through another few millimetres to actually touch the tape. Besides, it's standard, cheap sellotape - only marginally adhesive.

I was more concered that if I had have taped the inside, especially with the humidity requirements that I had initially believed absolute, the tape may have become waterlogged in places and come loose in the tank - posing a much greater threat :eek:

Was I wrong based on her size?

jeffh_x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
how deep is the substrate? whats her size? lividums love to burrow and it'll be good to provide sufficient substrate...on the down side, u wont be seeing her at all.. cheers

DanHalen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi jeffh_x. I just went downstairs to check. The substrate is only 2" deep! :eek: She's not very big - about 3" at the moment.

At first I was concerned about removing the log as it may disturb and stress her. But after more consideration, I think the first port of call is to get rid of it, and replace it with more substrate - She'll get over it, and will probably be happier eventually :D

I was thinking about 5" deep with a water dish in replacement of some of my regular mistings. Also, the tank is only 10" wide, by 8"tall, by 6" deep. I know they spend almost all there time in their burrows. I'm thinking this is a little on the small side?

I just went downstairs again to take some photos. For the last few nights around this time (almost 2.a.m. *yawn* ) she's been hanging around one of the entrances to her burrow. Maybe she's full?

I'll try and get the substrate sorted tomorrow and take some photographs, she's indeed a pretty beastie :D

DanHalen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok. Its 2:59 A.M. :wall: But I managed to get a couple of :( BAD :( pictures. Too dark, too much reflection, too tired, and when I moved the tank (very gently) to get a better shot, she got snotty and ran under her log!

Go figure!

I'll try and get some better ones when I've had some sleep, and I top up her substrate.

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You'll love her!

Just last week I got my first H. lividium. Kritter Keepers work well
for most terrestrials. My Cobalt is about 4 1/2-5" and I put her in a large KK
it's about 8 by 14 " by 10" high so you can fill it half full of peat moss.
A medium flat water dish will take care of the humidity although you can
mist occasionally too. Watch you fingers they are fast and their bite is
said to be quite potent. :D

jeffh_x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well i reckon that it would be great if u can supply both deep substrate and a cork..this way, she can make a series of tunnel networks throughout the whole enclosure..but with that size it shud be finei guess..its really cool to see these tunnels actually..i love observing them digging...its fascinating!