How strong is Usambara orange baboon Venom?

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I thought of getting one of these Usambara orange baboons but i read that newbie hobbiest (like me) should not keep these. But how strong is their venom?

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
You might look down in the bite reports. They are supposed to have a pretty bad bite, not as bad as Pokies but they are notorious for repeated bites. Hope this helps

Whiskeypunk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I say even if you have some experience with Tarantulas, Nothing, NOTHING is going to prepare you for that first threat display.

How long have you been keeping? I've been keeping for 5 months now and I have an Usambara and a Poecilitheria. As long as you are careful and note the Ts moods and personality, you can do fine.

However, I noticed that you have only had an A. Seemani. I would puchase something in between, like L. Parahybana, or A. Geniculata. THEN go up to the Usambara.

Also, pick up a copy of the Tarantula Keeper's Guide.

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
May I suggest a few steps up. Like WhiskeyPunk said go to an A. genic or a L. parahybana then I would suggest moving on to an arboreal species these tend to be much quicker than terrestrials and therefore more of a challenge. Even an Avicularia is speedy. You could also go with something like Psalmopoeus which are fast but also demand a certain amount of respect. I'm not saying you must follow this, but if you do you will be much less nervous and much more prepared for what happens when you do finally get an OBT. I have a 1 1/2" OBT sling and just recently purchased a 3 incher and the 3 incher is much more difficult to deal with aswell. You could start with a fairly small sling and just get used to it as you go. I would personally be lying if I said bad thoughts didn't run in the back of my head while I'm changing enclosures and such on an OBT. I've done 3 enclosure changes so far and all is good except for the 400 yard dash around the inside of the bathtub once lol. You will definitely never understand the true meaning of insanely fast until one of these bolts and you have to try and catch it.

Either way you decide to go good luck.

Trevor

Gemein

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm going to play the ladder. I guess nothing "truely" prepares you for having a high toxic T or an aggresive T for that matter. If you are care; then you simply are careful. Even with my G. rosea im careful; it's not as if they're highly aggresive but they are STILL a tarantula. I myself both own a pokie and osambra and to me they are just another beatiful toxic child lol ... But hey; learning never hurts; like suggested; pick up the Tarantula Keeper's Guide and educate yourself further. Who knows; perhaps you'll find a T in which you adore more :D

Best of luck!

recluse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The first T I ever owned was a P. murinus. It pretty much prepared me for every other one. She was very (still is) unpredictable. I love Pterinochilus. I have a P. chordatus juv female that is very docile. She has never ever once shown me a threat display. Most of the time they are in their hide.

brachymad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The first T I owned was a baboon . I now keep 9 rcf murinus . Numerous baboons and about 60 pocilotheria. How potent the venom is with any of these T's is realy not a problem. If you treat them with the respect any T deserves from an albop to a subfusca you should not get bitten. If you do none of them should do you any serious harm in itself. But the point is to do everything you can to avoid it.

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for a the info, i'll have to check out that tarantula book. Yeah, I think I will hold off on the OBT for a little while, i'll stick with more docile tarantulas until I have more experience.

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
A. Genics are pretty good ones, they grow extremely fast (faster than my L. Parabahna even) and stay out in the open almost all the time.

ballpython11

Arachnopeon
I skipt alot i started up with 6 pygmis then a rose hair and a king baboon but its worth it trust me and its because i got snakes but if you like it read think of a plan just in case it bites you {its not gona hapen if you just feed it and you leave it alone}and get an apropriet tall enclosure. if its a 3'' female in 20$ or less buy it

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I jumped in early and got two OBTs really early on in my T keeping career. They make you keep your wits about you for sure.

So long as you're careful -as people have said before- and you are willing to be patient with them, they're absolutely fantastic!
My two are essentially entirely nocturnal so I tend to do maintenance in the daylight hours and feed them at night.

I have long forceps and paintbrushes for when they need to be transferred between containers and I do it in the bath to contain them because they are fast in bursts.

As far as the venom, I personally haven't been hit but I've seem them regularly try to fang or slap my paintbrush 5+ times in like a couple seconds so I could imagine if they catch you they'll have more than 1 go at it.

Hope this helps! I'd say there's only one way to get used to a feisty species and that's get one, and then be careful. Only way to learn really :)

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love i when this happens because it boggles my mind figuring out how it happens. Do you search for something an dthen get excited and forget oor.........hmmmmm

good times

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Your a little late people, I already bought it, it lived and has already died;P

tommy1959

Arachnopeon
How Long have you been keeping??

I have a couple of questions:
#1 How long have you been keeping??
#2 What kind of T's do you keep now???
#3 Do you handle your T's Daily????
#4 Have you as much Respect as you have Admiration for your T's???
#5 Do you keep them to hold or admire from a distance???

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sounds to me like you are only thinking of getting it because it has a "HOT" bite.
We really do not need people like you keeping spids mate.
I could go on and on about what the strongest T venom is but I won't.
Get something like a Rosea...then after a few months and I am sure people will help you to get a NASTIER spid

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a couple of questions:
#1 How long have you been keeping??
#2 What kind of T's do you keep now???
#3 Do you handle your T's Daily????
#4 Have you as much Respect as you have Admiration for your T's???
#5 Do you keep them to hold or admire from a distance???
Why are you posting on an old thread that doesn't even relate to what you're posting?

Create a new thread or search for threads that already exist that cover the same things you're asking (there are tons of them).

Obligatory smileys: ;P :) {D :cool: :? :clap: ;) :rolleyes: :}

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Too bad it's old, but I had a good suggestion upon reading : Why not simply try one of the other Pterinochilus sp? My lugardis and chordatuses were teddy bears compared to the OBT. Same genus, a bit milder...