Androctonus Mauretanicus

Tipan

Arachnopeon
I am not a newbie in the field of "hot" animals, just "hot" scorpions. I think im in love with Androctonus Mauretanicus though. :p I have kept a Gaboon viper in the past and have handled hot herps since I was a small child (Native South-Eastern species ) and never been tagged. I am aware that some scorpions venom is more powerful than a Gaboon viper, but the ammount of respect is the same. I show all animals that have the potential to kill me and others with the upmost respect. With that being said how hard is it to keep Androctonus Mauretanicus?? IS there a care sheet for Mauretanicus?? I am kind-of a newbie when it comes to scorpions. I have had a few Pandinus imperators in the past but they are boring to me {D

Any and all responses welcomed and appreciated. :cool:

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
care is the same as other Androcontus... desert environment (sand), rocks for them to create scrapes under, low humidity, occaitonal waterdish, and high temps 80-90F

they keep easily and if you wanted, are easily bred

Tipan

Arachnopeon
TheNothing said:
care is the same as other Androcontus... desert environment (sand), rocks for them to create scrapes under, low humidity, occaitonal waterdish, and high temps 80-90F

they keep easily and if you wanted, are easily bred
Sweet, thanks

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Good choice any Androctonus is great to say the least ! i have all kinds of Androctonus, but the Androctonus Mauretanicus has to be one of my faves as well and keeping is a snap ! You dont even need to give them too much space cuz there ambush predetors and they like to sit out in fron of there hides/scrapes and wait for prey but somtimes they wonder about but not too much, but any who a Med kritter keeper with some sand or gravel or you could have sand gravel mix witch is what i do and give them a vew large rocks or peices of cork bark or what ever they can make a scrape under will work perfect and keep the humidity low and keep the temps around 80 being the lowest and 100 being the highest if you can keep in between that its perfect, a water dish is optional, but all mine does is get filled with sand i dont think they like so i dont have em in there anymore, so i take it they get all the liquid they need from there crickets they eat, but any ways thats all ya need to do ! good luck with it be safe. :cool:

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hello Tipan-

Androctonus spp. are some of the easiest to care for scorps in the hobby. My personal favorites from the genus are A. amoreuxi and A. bicolor, but A. crassicauda, A. mauritanicus and A. australis are also nice.
However, aside from the occasional nocturnal walk-about, all of my Andros tend to be highly retreat-oriented; sitting just within the retreat mouth with the chelae partially or fully exposed awaiting prey. Don't know if I'd consider this type of behavior "exciting" but others might?
Now, Parabuthus on the other hand, tend to be more active than Androctonus during all photperiods. Most of my P. liosoma and P. mossambicensis will occasionally be out and about during the day. A few of my P. transvaalicus as well.
Best of luck with whichever species you choose!

Luc

Tipan

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies bros. I like this board very interesting.

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have most of the Androctonus genus besides a few, but if your gonna get one and you want to see it all the time then get some females they are alot more active then the males. :D

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ThatGuy-

Very true. I was surprised when I started keeping members of this genus as to the activity levels of most females in comparison to the males. Males of other genera tend to be more active than the mostly sedentary and reclusive females.
I'm currently attempting to mate several of my amoreuxi's and bicolor's and it seems that it's the fems always doing the pursuing and initiating contact with the males.
However, I do have 2 fem E. flavicaudis that are very active even during the day!

Luc

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Barkscorpions said:
ThatGuy-

Very true. I was surprised when I started keeping members of this genus as to the activity levels of most females in comparison to the males. Males of other genera tend to be more active than the mostly sedentary and reclusive females.
I'm currently attempting to mate several of my amoreuxi's and bicolor's and it seems that it's the fems always doing the pursuing and initiating contact with the males.
However, I do have 2 fem E. flavicaudis that are very active even during the day!

Luc
im glad you notice that as well, the females in the Androctonus family seem to be more out and about then the males and the females even come out during the day its crazy, and the males kinda hang out in the scrapes and maybe come out at night.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ThatGuy-

Exactly. Been breeding two Andro species the past month and while the feamles are out and about during all photoperiods, the males tend to remain in their retreats or lurking under the edge of flat rocks, etc.
Also, almost all mating attempts have been initiated by active females encountering immobile males. Not as diurnally active as some of my Parabuthus spp. but still quite active.

Luc

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
any luck breeding the Amueroxi's and bicolor's ? cuz im like pro breeding the A. Australis and Crassicauda every time i have always lucked out and gpt them to breed, im waiting to do that again when my new specimens are mature enought there still sub-adults.

Tipan

Arachnopeon
Are the females as spectacular as the males? Are they any smaller, bigger etc etc?

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Tipan-

Adult females are not only longer but more robust and full-bodied, especially when well-fed!

Luc

Tipan

Arachnopeon
Barkscorpions said:
Tipan-

Adult females are not only longer but more robust and full-bodied, especially when well-fed!

Luc
Even better :cool:

Tipan

Arachnopeon
Ive looked at about 5 or 6 dealers and none of them have Mauretanicus. Could someone direct me to a breeder who carries them.

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
this is what i do to find theys kinda scorps and in your case its one of those kinda scorps that are hard to find, this is what ya gotta do, when you look at a dealers price list and see what he gots you also have to think about what hes not listing and ask him if he has any scorps that are not listed for sale and ask him what he gots, i have had really good luck with that.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I recently picked up an A. mauretanicus from Charles Black (Botar)...he still has a few if I'm not mistaken...his website is www.botarby8s.com.