H. minax?

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok ok... so every one has had this post up before....
here goes..

i purchased a supposed H. minax.

it looked like thre real H. minax. slight stripe on the patella/tibia...

the spider is all black....

what confuses me is the abdomen.... it has a slightly lighter tiger pattern.....

it doesn't look anything like the H. sp "aureopilosum..... just has that tiger pattern on its rump...

do you think it's still an H. minax?

here is a picture:

Advocatus

Arachnopeon
It looks to me as if it's a H. sp. "longipendum" (aka C. Paganus), and not a H. Minax. Just my $0.02

Here it is (pic taken from this site):

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think you are right on!
thank you soooo much!
i'll tell you what... it's still a mean little biznatch!

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

BTW, who says that Haploelma minax hasn't abdominal pattern? The real Haplopelma minax has stripes on the Abdomen, but they are not so distinct, because of the dark coloration of this Species. Haplopelma sp. "longipedum" is lighter in coloration and this Species has a much longer Leg IV than Leg I (relationfactor of ~ 89),whereas the real Haplopelma minax has a relationfactor concerning Leg I in comparison to Leg IV from ~ 98,this means that Leg I is nearly as long as Leg IV in Haplopelma minax . A freshly moulted Haplopelma minax has furthermore a moss greenish Carapac coloration. This is not known to me in Haplopelma sp. "longipedum". To my opinion - it's only an assumption - it is possible, Devildoll, that you possess a real Haplopelma minax because the Specimen on the picture looks like that Species to me. But, like ever, it's only an assumption. The real identification can only be cleared by the examination of dead Material or a skin.

Cheers, Volker

Advocatus

Arachnopeon
Yes, wouldn't you be able to get a certain identification by studying it's spermatecae?

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Devildoll
i'll tell you what... it's still a mean little biznatch!
I agree....mine gets into a threat display if I even look at it funny.

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Advocatus
Yes, wouldn't you be able to get a certain identification by studying it's spermatecae?
Hi,

well, it's nearly impossible to identify a Haplopelma of the so called "minax" group (=Hapl. minax, Hapl. albostriatum, Hapl. lividum, Hapl. sp. "longipedum"...) only by the shape of it's spermathecae, because they have all an ordinary, simple undivided spermathecae (picture below shows a Spermathecae of a Haplopelma minax from Taling Sung Area in Thailand which is deposited in the "Zoologisches Forschungsinstitut und Museum A. Koenig" ). A meaningful identification must always take place on a dead one or a skin.

Cheers, Volker