molting problem

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my 4 instar P.liosoma just molted but one of its back legs is stuck in the molt.is there any thing I can do to help it?

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
And be equally gentle -for the scorp- and careful -for you- while you attempt this. Use forceps/tweezers. Goodluck.

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How much of the leg is stuck? Figure that out, and snip off (scissors) the old exo-skeleton to the point of the leg. Obviously make sure you don't injure the leg while you do this.

Watch that metasoma while you do this.

Just thinking about how a scorp molts, I can't imagine how ONE leg is stuck. Is more of the scorp stuck? Can you take a picture?

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its stuck half way up the patella.It looks like it is twisted.The scorp molted on its back so I think it happened when it fliped over.I'll try to take a pic

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The patella on one hind leg?

How long has it been like this? As in, do you think it can sort itself out, or is it trying to move with the old exo-skeleton still attached?

If it is stuck half way up the patella on one hind leg, you should be able to relatively safetly remove most of the exo skeleton by cutting it away. Leave room for error ofcourse and do it carefully. There are three more segments of leg after the patella. Look at the scorp's other matching leg for reference.

Perhaps increasing humidity and temperature a TOUCH might be an idea? This could help the scorp shed the exo-skeleton itself.

This all said, without a picture, it is hard to say what to do. Plus you need to be careful in anycase, as you know, this is a hot species.

Goodluck.

(To note: the chances are that this leg will be "gammy" if it has twisted mid-molt :( )

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It also molted funny the exoskeleton was slit down to half way down the mesosoma on the upper side and down to the sternum on the bottem side.all the other scorps I had molt it just cracked along the front ridge in front of the lateral eyes.

Last edited:

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, normally in all species the carapace snaps open like a lid, and the scorp sheds it's exo-skeleton through this "trap-door".

That said, looking at the picture, the scorp seems to almost have molted fine. I had a worse image in my mind to begin with!!!

What are the humidity/temperature levels currently?

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'v tried every thing I can think of.pulling it of, I got a little piece of paper towel damp and rubbed it on the leg with my forceps and only that leg.Its been like that for an hour and a half.The poor thing just keep draging it around

Predator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Humidity 25%? Thats really low, it should be around 60%. Surprising it molted as well as it did.

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok Im going to spray some water on the side of its cage

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
drapion-

First, increase humidity. Next, with a soft-bristled artist brush, apply a liberal amount of solution of warm water and a small amount of mild dish detergent on the leg above the molt and to the molt remaining on the leg. Not always, but sometimes this works when all else fails. Good luck!

Luc

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
drapion-

Another method is to transfer the scorpion to a smaller container, without vent holes with a thin layer of wet paper towel as a substrate. Allow the scorpion to remain closed in the container for 15-20 minutes and then attempt to gently remove the molt.

Luc

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok bark I tried them.didnt work.I'm pretty sure the leg got twisted some how.now what?

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
drapion-

Unfortunately, I've not had much experience in this sort of thing and the limited experiences I've had were easily remedied by the above methods. I've used small optical scalpels to remove dried exuviae from one tarantula but the process was lengthy and nerve-shattering to say the least!
Maybe continued applications of warm water to the area coupled with a 24-hour confinement period in a container with increased humidity could soften it enough for the scorpion to remove it itself? Sorry. Wish i could be of more help. Good luck!

Luc

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As people have said it looks like the moult went mostly fine. If the bad leg is hindering the scorpion (stopping it hunting) and you aren't able to correct it, I would recommend cutting the leg off at nearest joint, being young hopefully the scorpion will be able to regenerate most of the leg.

Murziukas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oliver

are you sure about regeneration as my C. Margaritatus didn't regenerate it...