When will the trash be set out?

Sibeleen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi :)

My Avic Urticans just molted (last night i suspect) and im wondering when he will dumb his old skin out of its web? or will it dump it at all?
Id really love to keep the skin since it will be my very first!
Also because i cant really get a decent look at the T himself, the skin will be an excellent consellation :D
i was thinkin of using a pair of tweezers and snatch the skin from it, but im not sure if i should just yet!
Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Also, this is the same spider who got allmost raped by a couple of crickets which were starving. I removed the crickets since i suspected an upcomming molt and i was right :D yayyyy go me!

SiB

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sibeleen said:
Hi :)

My Avic Urticans just molted (last night i suspect) and im wondering when he will dumb his old skin out of its web? or will it dump it at all?
Id really love to keep the skin since it will be my very first!
Also because i cant really get a decent look at the T himself, the skin will be an excellent consellation :D
i was thinkin of using a pair of tweezers and snatch the skin from it, but im not sure if i should just yet!
Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Also, this is the same spider who got allmost raped by a couple of crickets which were starving. I removed the crickets since i suspected an upcomming molt and i was right :D yayyyy go me!

SiB
:)

most of my avics will throw the old skin out in about a week.
some never throw it out though.

after 2 or 3 days you can use tweezers to carefully remove the skin, without much danger to your spider

congratulations, i liked reading your post :)

odinn7

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was moving my spiders back into the bedroom (getting ready for the cold weather) and when I moved the lividum tank, I looked in the back corner and could see an opening in the burrow against the glass. I looked carefully and at first was shocked to see "Flower" dead and shriveled up there. I looked closer and I could see it was a cast off that she had webbed into the corner. At some point she molted and didn't bother to tell me. :} I wouldn't know by looking at her as I haven't seen her in quite some time. Anyway, back to the story...I had read that they will normally push it out of the burrow or perhaps even eat it. She didn't do either but she did cover it with web against the glass. There is no way to get it out of there without completely destroying the burrow so I have decided she will live with it.
Stupid spider :rolleyes:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
odinn7 said:
I was moving my spiders back into the bedroom (getting ready for the cold weather) and when I moved the lividum tank, I looked in the back corner and could see an opening in the burrow against the glass. I looked carefully and at first was shocked to see "Flower" dead and shriveled up there. I looked closer and I could see it was a cast off that she had webbed into the corner. At some point she molted and didn't bother to tell me. :} I wouldn't know by looking at her as I haven't seen her in quite some time. Anyway, back to the story...I had read that they will normally push it out of the burrow or perhaps even eat it. She didn't do either but she did cover it with web against the glass. There is no way to get it out of there without completely destroying the burrow so I have decided she will live with it.
Stupid spider :rolleyes:
a lot of species typically incorporate their molts into their burrows like that

most of my Pterinochilus murinus web the molt into the walls of their homes.

i had to excavate my lividum's too :)

Sibeleen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey guys :)
Yeah, it IS quitea remarkable feeling to know that your spider feels good in its new home and is healthy enough to shed without probems :D
I dont htink i could get the skin out tho unless its been evicted. Id have a real hard time to take it out since its barely accessible, so if he plans on using it as a decorative peice lol then i guess ill allow him :p
But i still hope he will give it to me as a prezzie, id really like it :D
Thanx for stoppin by guys, ill update this thread with any news on the matter.
Have a good one u guys.

SiB

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
same prob with my C fasciatum.. the exuvium is way at the back of the hide.. :(

so much for sexing this time..

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
my Avicularia's have always just left the moults in their webs, from right after they moult till whenever i get around to grabbing the moult out, typically in my experience they sit/lay right by the moult...

Sibeleen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, i didn't get any luck this time, it looks like he is eating it, so i guess ill wait til the next molt.
But he IS still small, he's 2and half inches in legspan and a body of just under one and half inches.
So im sure ill get plenty of exuviums still :D
Ohh before i forget, here's a pic of him drinking...awwweeee {D
Thanx for the good info guys
have a good one :)

SiB

Attachments

dojang

Arachnopeon
I usually give my spiders about 24 hours at most with a skin, then I'll grab it out of there. I try to get it while it is still moist enough to reposition back into roughly the shape of the spider, so that I can save them.

*has a whole desktop full of shed spider molts*

As long as you aren't poking at the T directly, it shouldn't be a problem to snatch away the old skin.

Good luck, its a real beautiful T :)

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Arboreals won't always toss their exuvia from their tube webs. You did the right thing in giving it some time and then retrieving it. Any word on whether it's male or female?

Sibeleen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
unfortunatley not, the abdomen is not intact enough to tell...
I'll have to wait til the next few molts and hopefully ill get lucky :)
thanx for stoppin by you guys

SiB