I opened the lid and...

Scorpionidad

Arachno-overlord
Old Timer
I opened the lid up and one of my scorps was just sitting there. I blew on her to see if she would move. Didd'nt budge. So I poked her with my finger and still nothing. Did I interrupt her molting? Her giving birth?! Am I over-reacting? :eek:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What kind of scorp?

Was it's tail straight out behind it?

Can we get a pic?

Scorpionidad

Arachno-overlord
Old Timer
Description

It is a female Emperor

Pretty sure tail was slumped over abdomen

As soon as I can, I'll get a pic (at work now)

**Ohh- and the male seems to always be away from her like he's scared**
I have a half-circle wood bark they used to stay under and now he's chill'n outside.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
sometimes they moult with the tail curled up, dont worry about moulting position :)

let us know when you get back :)

Scorpionidad

Arachno-overlord
Old Timer
She is quite fat- but what do I do with her if she does have little ones! :eek: I know I could search online for this but what is the best course of action I should take...? I have two cages that are sweater boxes, one heated, one is not (she is in that one), and one 10 gallon fish tank, heated. I also have a mister that I can use eisily with the 10 gallon. I could also rig one of the sweater boxes to clasp the nossle (I use a soddering gun to make holes in the plastic). I just don't want the little guys to all die so I want to make sure I'm best prepared ;)

dirk14

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sorry just look at the color its an emp due to the crack on forehead

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my female sp looks like this but she was much fatter before giving birth, not big enuff to look like its gonna moult too...

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scorpionidad-

First, that is an emperor and a nice looking specimen at that! Secondly, as has already been stated, she looks every inch sexually mature so, I think an impending molt is out of the question. Third, she looks a bit robust and if she is gravid, she's not too far along and still has a way to go in girth and mass. You'll definitely be able to determine if most emps are gravid by a large increase in mass and girth - some get so large that you look at them and wonder how their legs can support such a massive body.
Also, typical gravid fems will either 1) seclude themselves in a burrow/retreat and you'll not see them again until the offspring emerge with the fem; or 2) the female will become atypically active in excavating burrows and digging. The later is typical of fems in communal groups as they're attempting to excavate a secluded and secure burrow away from other group members. Good luck and best wishes for a gravid fem!

Luc

Scorpionidad

Arachno-overlord
Old Timer
Thanks for the info. I dont think she's about to molt either, she did so late last year (and turned out beutifully I might add). Right now she is in a burrow I helped make for her and her cage mate, a male. She is in one spot and by herself. I may have a pic soon.

Marcelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For sure it is an Emperor, just look its hairy and grainy pedipalps I can not asure male or female, or even gravid, mostly when they are gravid, you will see the white membrane on pleurae and between tergites or plates of the dorsum. Yours do not have this charasteristic yet. In pregnant scorpions these membranes expand greatly, so the segments are spreaded apart. your pandinus will still eating. If shes female again do not disturb her, give her a nice and warm house. They usually take between 7 and 10 months or even a year to have babies, but thats depend on diet, temperature and other factors. keep her alone and lots of water.

Saludos,

Marcelo