Any Taran Tarantulas That Would Thrive At Room Temperature

Mr.Scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It would be lovely. Our room temperature here is around 65-70f. Any tarantulas that would be happy at this temp?

GootySapphire

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mr.Scorpion said:
It would be lovely. Our room temperature here is around 65-70f. Any tarantulas that would be happy at this temp?
Some T's can survive several degrees below or above what they are supposed to be. Sometimes my gauge says 73 or 84 for my poecilotheria, l. parahybana, c. marshalli, a. avicularia.

aliceinwl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I live in CA and have a dozen north American Aphonopelma sp.. Mine are all kept at room temp and all are doing well.

-Alice

MikeW

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mr.Scorpion said:
That's okay temps for any brachy or grammostola slings, though I tend to prefer the temp be at least 70, they should be okay a little lower than that (70 is mainly the baseline though). Pretty much any juvie or adult T will be okay at 70 with some exceptions (probably T Blondi, and I don't know much about old worlders). I have an A genic juvie that I keep at around 70 - 75 and he's doing just fine, even though most caresheets insist they should be kept at 80 - 85.

Puppet Master

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
most species will exept for the very tropical species. I have had my T's down to around 60 for a while and they were not very active but they were fine and are all doing very well now. P. lugardi, G. rosea, Chaco, A. clarki.

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My room temps are also constantly in the 60s. I tried Brachypelma slings at room temp. Theoretically, they should have just grown slower, but it looked suspiciously to me like they wouldn't make it, so I ended the "experiment", put them in my heated T housing and they started eating and growing right away.

That said, the Aphonopelma sound like a great idea, and I think I've heard that some Poecilotheria thrive naturally at lower temps.

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Poecilotheria subfusca like to be kept at around 65-70F.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
I cant think of ANY spider that experiences Difficulty at those temps...
55, maybe, maybe

T

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
All of mine have been surviving at room temperature including slings. I haven't been using any heat lamps. The house is air conditioned in the summer as well. We'll see how things go this winter with the cost of heating oil because I will try to keep the house at 68. It has been about 70, but I doubt if this will be much different. I do have heat lamps on all the scorpions
and they are in a different spot then my tarantulas. Most of my T's are in the kitchen since its warmer, by all the others are in other rooms that are cooler.

Sharon

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
tony said:
I cant think of ANY spider that experiences Difficulty at those temps...
55, maybe, maybe

T
I agree completely. I have not provided any additional heat sources for any of my tarantulas. I keep all of mine at room temperature and have never experienced any problems.

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good question. I was also wondering if keeping slings in an incubator would be a good idea for growth/survival rate. I have a large incubator/hovabator that im not using (since I quit breeding leopard geckos), and am interested in giving it a shot with slings.

My T's are also kept at room temperature, never below 75F, never above 80F.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
WhyTeDraGon said:
Good question. I was also wondering if keeping slings in an incubator would be a good idea for growth/survival rate. I have a large incubator/hovabator that im not using (since I quit breeding leopard geckos), and am interested in giving it a shot with slings.

My T's are also kept at room temperature, never below 75F, never above 80F.
There are some who like to increase the growth rate of small slings to get them "over the hump" so to say. I am not sure if this has any effect on the overall survival rate or if it reduces the failure to thrive in some slings. However, I doubt it would cause any problems, provided you don't dry them out and desiccate them.

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The spot on the bottom of the incubator has a place to put water, so that it keeps the humidity up. Im sure though that it wouldnt be such a good idea with T's that require low humidity levels. Though I may give it a try with some of my other species :)
I just need to buy another Digital Thermometer since the batteries melted in mine :wall: