Newb here..hoping for ID on new roommate

SoCal_RT

Arachnopeon
This is our new roommate here at our Southern CA home, inland a ways, a little more arid climate.
He/she has a little web covered corner to crouch in and sleep all day. Comes out at night for dinner by the porch light. The abdomen alone is about the size of a dime at least. I would have held a quarter beside him for reference, but to be honest, I was afraid to get any closer. :p
I hope these pics are ok. I shrunk them down for the sake of the moderators...the full size shots are here.

Anyone know what we got here?

Thanks!

SoCal_RT

Arachnopeon
Murziukas said:
araneus spp?
I thought it looked similar to the orb weaver from the other ID Request threads I went through, but the head is much smaller than most of the others.
I'm a total amateur when it comes to anything insect/spider related, but now I'm intreagued!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
SoCal_RT said:
I thought it looked similar to the orb weaver from the other ID Request threads I went through, but the head is much smaller than most of the others.
I'm a total amateur when it comes to anything insect/spider related, but now I'm intreagued!
the trick to id'ing spiders to family is to look at their eyes

specifically the size and location/arrangement of them :)

no guess from me, but good luck :)

SoCal_RT

Arachnopeon
cacoseraph said:
the trick to id'ing spiders to family is to look at their eyes

specifically the size and location/arrangement of them :)

no guess from me, but good luck :)
I'll try to get a better shot of her head tonight. She keeps it tucked behind her front legs and it's very hard to get a good closeup. She only comes out at night and my 3.1mp camera isn't the best for getting good low light shots...

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
SoCal_RT said:
I'll try to get a better shot of her head tonight. She keeps it tucked behind her front legs and it's very hard to get a good closeup. She only comes out at night and my 3.1mp camera isn't the best for getting good low light shots...
take pics through a magnifying glass
i know it sounds silly, but it actually works really well, once you get the hang of it :)

NRF

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
SoCal_RT said:
The photos are ok. No need to see they eyes on this araneid.
Try to search for Cat faced or Jewel Spider (Araneus gemmoides). I don´t know if this is the same spider but some photos look relatively similar, eventhough your lacks the bumps.

SoCal_RT

Arachnopeon
NRF said:
Anyway, could this spider also be an A. gemmoides?
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=31125
Compare for example with the photo down to the left at
http://www.royalalbertamuseum.ca/natural/insects/bugsfaq/jewelspd.htm
But can you trust determinations at websites???
It seems to be in that family, but based on that second link in the description, this one doesn't weave a typical web. It's almost like a funnel spider type web (my ignorance openly exposed here). She has a little tunnel to sleep in all day and the web around the lamp is very erratic and just randomly spun. No geometry.
I put the web and hinge in this shot for reference....

NRF

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The "tunnel" is her retreat, a hiding place wich most Araneus-orbweavers make. May be at this time of the year she doesn´t make any more webs for catching prey, but only waits for the eggs to appear.