S'ling storage.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Where should I be looking to get hundreds of little bottles for s'lings? We potentialy have four gravid females at this point (2 G.rosea, 1 H.lividum and 1 P.regalis) and so we may need a few bottles.

I have a couple suggestions already, but I'm looking for more. So far, I have the option of using one of the hundreds of film canisters I have been hoarding for my scorpion activities as well as asking at my local pharmacy for pill bottles. Any other ideas? Keep in mind that I am in Canada, so if you have a good online source, they have to do business up here.

Cheers,
Dave

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know a guy who used egg crates. THey havbe those little bumpy things that the eggs sit in and each of those can be cut out of some of the deeper egg cartons and used as a housing for smaller spiderlings. He used cling film with small holes poked in it on the top of each one to keep it inside. These can be picked up for free at any grocery store that has bulk flats of eggs. I have millions of these cartons that I got from a major Canadian grocer to soundproof a room.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I'm not sure if this site will ship to Canada or not, but even if they don't I bet they can direct you to someone there that sells these vials there

Thornton Plastics

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks. I've inquired at Thorton about their shipment policies. Also, the egg crate gave me another idea which I may very well test out at some point. I'll be sure to post it should it prove to work out.

Cheers,
Dave

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You mentioned checking with a pharmacy. You might consider asking them to order a box of vials for you. Most pharmacies will be nice enough to special order all sorts of things. They already stock bottles so it wouldn't even be a problem for them. They also order a ton of vials along with thousands of dollars worth of other items through their distributors. This means their cost is usually lower than for the average Joe. Just a thought.

Check out the below links for some vials. The TriState vials are made of the soft flexible type plastic. They are screw on lids though.

TriState
http://www.tristatedbtn.com/pages/products1.html

Ed Luce Packaging
http://www.smartcart.com/edluce/cgi...&terms=Plastic::&deptsub=yes&category=Plastic

Last edited:

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Do you have any friends with babies? When my Costa Rican zebra laid an eggsac, I asked around and collected hundreds of baby food jars from friends with babies. They aren't good for sending out multiples because of the weight, but they are ideal in size and clear enough to see the tarantulas through.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Unfortunately, I don't. All my friends are either a couple years too young or old enough that their kids are just a bit too young. ;)

Cheers,
Dave

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
well I went the cheap way, and bought 1oz deli cups with clear plastic lids. I put a tiny bit of substrate in, and poked holes with a safety pin.
So far, it's working...but it's alot of work!