Sing. blue vs Cobalt blue

curioussnake

Arachnopeon
Cyriopagopus sp "Singapore blue" VS Cobalt blue

How do i differentiate them ? :confused: From their pictures, they just look alike :?

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The biggest difference is that one is arboreal (Cyriopagopus sp "Singapore blue" and one (H. lividum Cobalt Blue) is an obligate burrower.

Unfortunately, most 1st and 2nd instar tarantulas look very similar.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have both, but I don't know if I'm the most competent to answer this question. The H. lividums I have are both sub-adults. They have dark to grayish bodies with dark blue on the legs only (I think. At least mine are blue only on the legs).

My C sp. "Singapore Blues" have just molted from slings to juvies. They originally started out as brown, but newly molted when I caught one in my flashlight beam last night, the color on it was a bright, bright, metallic blue all over. I'm hoping the color only gets brighter and more magnificent as it grows. But as it is, there is no mistaking the two species if you saw them side by side. Also, I believe the Singapore Blue can get to be 9", where as the Cobalt stops at about 5" to 6".

I'm sure someone with more experience and knowledge will come on here and give you a more scientific breakdown of their differences, but this is the best I can do. :)

curioussnake

Arachnopeon
thank you so much for the explaination {D

Btw, are they both in brown colour during juvenile ?

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The C. sp. "Singapore Blues" are definitely brownish as slings, but I don't know about the H. lividum. Both of mine had color when I got them as juvies.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
curioussnake said:
Cyriopagopus sp "Singapore blue" VS Cobalt blue

How do i differentiate them ? :confused: From their pictures, they just look alike :?
Neither are even vaguely similar.

wolfpak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think the singapore blue has blue abdomen while the lividium is gray :?

mattandjosh

Arachnopeon
hrm..

I have both, but neither are fully mature yet. I agree with the differences listed. Also, the leg layout and body shape are different. S. blues are very very leggy. Cobalts are stocky with much smaller bottoms, which I think makes them cute. :D

Scolopendra777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well i own both of the tarantulas and i would say the colbalt blue is a lot darker blue then the singapore as the colbalt looks black at a glance and the singapore is a lot lighter with a greenish tinge with orange hairs but i can see what you mean as they both have white creamy carapaces but the male singapore is mostly mossy green with blue mixed in.
Bye for now
:clap: Jon Armstrong :clap:

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think that they really look alike color wise (except cobalt a bit darker like said above) at least when it comes to mature females. The main difference is in the shape. Lividum is a stocky burrower and Singapore Blue has a pokie like silouhette, with the enlarged legs tips like all asian arboreal, and the body less massive compared to the general stature. They are leggier, lighter build and turn out to have a larger legspan.