Killing Fleas Without Killing my T

JaxsWastedLife

Arachnopeon
My dog brought fleas into my house. Frontline worked for him, but they are still around biting me. I want to flea bomb my house but i don't want to hurt my T. Is there any natural way to get rid of the fleas without harming my T?

Captante

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The bad news is that last time I had a major infestation I tried several natural solutions and none worked, the only thing that finally wiped them out was bombing my whole house twice...once to kill the adults & again about 3.5 weeks later to get the ones that hatched...if you go this route you'll need to find a temporary home for your T's obviously.
The good news is that if you wait it out, Frontline (& depending on your location) winter will take care of the problem for you, it'll just take a month or two...possibly even until next spring worst-case, because the adults that bite your dog will eventually die, any eggs they lay will be sterile and as long as you keep up with the treatments any new fleas that hatch will die too...just be sure to keep letting your dog go everywhere you have fleas because they prefer his blood to yours!

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My T's are isolated in one room (which has no carpet), so I was able to use the carpet powder stuff on the carpet (which is only in the living room and the bathroom oddly enough). The T's are fine, I didn't have to move them or anything, but I did have a few fleas in the bedroom for a while.

The powder killed all the fleas, eggs and probalby any other insect that would get near that carpet (it's supposed to last in there for a year...follow directions).

The fleas are completely gone now. It would have been near impossible for me to bomb the house, since I'd have to find temporary housing for all my reptiles as well.

TheNatural

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I get a friend that had 36 Ts dead by "insect bomb" so If Ure going to use it, take you T to another place, don't risk.

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
And Btw, when I put down the flea powder, I shut off Central air/heating, put a towel down in front of both bedroom doors (one has reptiles, one has insects) and opened the windows. When I was done vaccuming the excess powder out of the carpet, I dumped my clothes into the laundry (kept elswhere) and showed before I went anywhere near either one of them.

As it is, I don't bring any of the T's or the reptiles into those rooms.

Fini

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Keep using the Frontline and get some diatomaceous earth earth from a pool supply store. Sprinkle the diatoms on carpet and rugs and let it do it's thing. The diatoms are microscopic bones that tear the exoskeleton of fleas up. It's not poisonous and you just vacuum it up when your done.

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Get some 20 Mule Team Borax...it's in the laundry detergent aisle at most stores. It's really just Boric Acid.

It causes lots of serious problems for fleas and other bugs...so you do have to keep it away from your T's as well (their room/area), but the rest of the house is fine. It's non toxic to humans, cats and dogs as long as it's not ingested, and all you do is sprinkle it on your carpets, couches etc...let it sit for an hour (or overnight or longer depending on whom you ask), and vacuum it up. Then repeat a few times, maybe once every other week until you don't see them.

And it's less than five bucks.

Here are some links for more info.

Boric Acid 1 Boric Acid 2 Flea Control

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I tried flea powder for my carpets and that didn't seem to have much effect. Just putting Frontline on my cats didn't work either. Finally, I moved all my Ts into my office at work, put Frontline on my cats, and flea bombed my house. That did the trick. I think my cats were picking up adult fleas outdoors and bringing them inside where they laid eggs in the carpet.

BTW, I believe that fleas prefer animals with high body temperatures. My ferret had a much worse problem with fleas because she has a higher temperature than my cats. I had to put Frontline on my ferret as well.

Karen N.

pete81182

Arachnopeon
i found a way to kill fleas IT WORKS

ok what you do is mix 1 part lemon juce with 4 parts dettol yes dettol . put it in a spray bottle and cover all your carpets rugs-ect you WILL see it working at once thay hate it and it kill the eggs to . do this once-twice a week till thay are gone .... also mix 1 part dettol with 1 part warm water and use this to brush you pet with a flea comb once a day ...... it worked for me and now we are flea free good luck ..... p.s its safe on all bedding

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Bombs are unnecessary for fleas. They put poison on the walls, ceiling, in every nook and cranny of your home. You won't find fleas climbing the walls or on the ceiling. If possible, I would remove the Ts from the house for a couple of days and use a good spray (Raid flea killer PLUS) on the carpets, upholstery, bottom of curtains that touch the floor. What you can do is spray, then a day later vacuum all carpets with a couple moth balls tossed in the vacuum bag, then throw the bag out (get it out of the house). 2 Weeks later repeat the process. The moth balls will help with any fleas/eggs that are sucked up by the vacuum, but you do want to get the bag out of the house just in case.

Anything you can wash..dog beds, etc...would be a good idea too.

Oh, and as far as fleas on the dogs, there is a pill called Comfortis out. It works wonderfully and you don't have to worry about it rubbing onto you or getting on anything else. It's the first flea pill approved by the FDA.

elportoed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use combo of diatomaceous earth and table salt. Daitomaceous supposedly cut them open, and salt draw out the moisture form the body. And vucuum and sweep your floor often. You should get rid of them within a month.