Big Rosie: no feeding since molt 6 weeks ago

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Been away for several weeks and before leaving a large rosehair molted - bought about a year ago and no idea of history - but did not want to feed too soon, so let it wait 3 weeks until return.
All tanks were cleaned and fresh water sources cleaned and extras added for the duration, so did not want to have possible crix running around/dying in one and rotting away, so all fasted.
When I got back most ate readily as expected - and first molt in my possesion this rosehair ate like a monster, and regular as clockwork.
Not an aggressive T; but voracious eater normally ready to leap across cage for prey. 'Bout six weeks now, and this T has eaten nothing since molt.
I KNOW that rosies are unpredictable, but does this have something to do with maturity?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Hard to say what it has to do with. Maybe you find some clues re-reading the rosea sticky.

solaceofwinter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mine is doine the same thing. big rose hair female, just molted first time in 4-5 years will not eat. im going to crank up the heat very soon, remove all crickets and let her go about month and a half and try again. get metabolism up and offer no food she'll get hungry soon enough. :)

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I did read the stickies but have not seen anything definitive...

One more strange thing: about a week ago this rosehair was webbing away on the substrate in the spot it has been hanging out and stretching/drying out(?) since molt, and built a kind of second layer to the floor web that already existed for some time.
OK - here is the odd part - the spider worked its' way in between the "sheets" and positioned itself UPSIDE-DOWN... on its' back... inside the little web-envelope. As if it would molt again or something. Stayed there a while, then came out maybe an hour later. Is this a sperm-web?
I have not noticed pronounced pedipalp-hooks or "boxing gloves" look, but this spidey is hidey and I don't often get a good view lately... since I was away for a while, have not been checking as usual.
Just want to try to connect observations to expected behavior - plus originally gave this T a girl's name, so bets/jokes riding on revelation that it is a mature male.
With rosehairs, the joke is always on us!

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Definitely sounds like a sperm web. That could also be the reason for the bad apetite. Good thing though is that rosea males get quite old in comparison.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sounds like a classic sperm web. I suspect you have a mature male on your hands.