• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Avicularia avicularia

brandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Got bit two nights ago while moving the male into a larger container. This is a mature male, I'm guessing about 4". He was very calm and let me pick him up to move him, but he seemed to get nervous when I went to put him down. He never reared up, I think he was more just trying to hold on, I barely even noticed the penetration, it felt more just like pressure.

After about 10 minutes I felt a lot of itching at the site of the bite, but no burning or tingling. The area was slightly raised and reddened about 1" diameter, subsiding by the next morning. Now it's about the size of a mosquito bite, and itches about the same.

I honestly don't think I got a lot of venom, but figured it would be worth sharing since I didn't see any other A avic reports on here. :)

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Boy do I feel silly. I've got baboons but I get bit by a fricken avicularia. Totally my fault; I was tong feeding a very hungry, recently-out-of-molt avic some lobster roaches. I dropped the roach and decided to grab it with my hand instead of the tongs. Too much movement = possible meal; got a nice little nip on my wrist. So far it's just a little red and mildly stings. The bite itself was minimally painful and I doubt I got much in the way of venom since he let go the second I blew gently on him. I'm thoroughly embarassed.

Steveyruss

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was bitten too by my avic avic but there is merely a tiny mark, I was acting silly when I was drunk and picked her up by her back from off my hand, she didn't inject any venom but just seemed to try to hang onto me.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
OMG my first bite since in the hobby after all of the angry and aggressive T's I've picked up, and it was by a 3rd instar pinktoe. being so tiny (and a pinktoe), I put it on the back of my hand while holding a piece of molt that was stuck to its leg, thinking it would pull it off and walk away if it wanted to, or just sit there if it wanted it to stay on. Well it pulled, and pulled, and........bit me in the webbing of my right hand. I felt it and thought, "No way!" {D and looked for a bite mark, but couldn't find one. It was REALLY itchy for about 10 or 15 min. REALLY ITCHY . And then nothing. Without the itch, I wouldn't have even been sure it happened.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man do i feel stupid...........

So i was trying to show the fiances dad my A. avic eat one of the new roaches that i got for my Ts... and it was not participating lol....

SO... i decided that 'she must be hungry' so i picked the roach up with my bare fingers and placed it into her tube web. She didn't notice it.

She HAS to be hungry!! So i picked the roach up yet again and went to put it further into her tube web towards her when in about 1/100th of a second all hell broke loose and my friendly girl did a 360 and darted at the roach in my fingers.... it was followed by a girl like screech and me yanking my hand out 1/99th of a second too late!

Now for the bite... didn't know at first if i got tagged for sure or not, and then under closer inspection 1 bloody hole on my finger, and another that just barely was a puncture that didn't go too far in. There was no pain other than the puncture, maybe a little burning, but hardly even noticeable. After 10 minutes i forgot i had gotten bit.

What i was doing was extremely stupid, and irresponsible in every possible way. I didn't really mind getting bit, i knew it was my fault, and she just mistook my fingers for the roach i was holding. Now i have an idea of what a bite feels like, and its pretty much nothing. I rather get bit then get a paper cut...

BUT i do NOT want to feel the P. rufilata, P. murinus, H. gigas, C. sp. "Blue", or any of the E. pachypus, i have a feeling all those would be a bit more painful lol.

:eek: Nate

Autumnvicky

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The size of the spider - 2 to 3 inches long, not including the legs. Not very big.

How the bite occurred - I was trying to steer a cricket towards her since her container's kind of big for her. Should have used something other than my finger, it was a stupid move on my part. :wall: I got in between her and her dinner. She jumped and struck the both of us. I could feel her legs grasping my finger, I quickly pulled away. She was unharmed, and continued with her meal. I thought she missed me at first.

What type of physical damage was caused - Not much that I can see.

What symptoms you experienced - Tingling pain, small cramps, and hot flashes, I don't think much venom was injected, the pain isn't all that bad. I've dealt with worse. Pain in the hand grew sharper over time and a little stiff. As the day ended most of the pain ebbed away.

How long the symptoms lasted - Bitten in the morning, the day is over now, symptoms still going, just much milder than before

What medical attention you received if any - None yet

Any lingering effects from the bite - Soreness

A picture of the bite if one is available - My camera is crap, especially with up close pictures. Just look at my picture thread. There's no way I'm going to be able to be able to photograph it.

Last edited: