ID this little guy please....

Camberwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi there,

my mate bought a T from this petshop, labeled as a Cobalt Red Rump, but when he got it home i did a search on the internet for its husbandry and discovered it was actualy a GBB, he rang the pet shop and he said there was a mix up. now since then before i knew what GBB slings looked like we bought this little guy labeled as a GBB, but then it molted and i thought "that aint no GBB". i'v done some searching and i beleive this guy closest resembles a E. pulcherrimaklassi but i want to be sure. is there an official name for these?

sorry the picture isn't the best, he has dark blue legs, the lighting is a bit dark but they are blue

thanks guys

Camberwell

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I suspect the pet shop was right the first time. This may very likely be a Thrixopelma cyaneum (formally known as Cyclosternum sp?). These were sold as Cobalt Red Rumps. Rick West has a picture of an adult female on his sight. Here is a link to it. If that is truly what you have, they are pretty nice tarantulas. I had a male a few years back.

Camberwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
aha cool,

i think i came across pictures of these on my search, and looking at the sling, that looks most what it could be like as an adult. i think we may have a match :)

thankyou very much

Camberwell

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

Windchaser said:
This may very likely be a Thrixopelma cyaneum
BTW, "Thrixopelma cyaneum" is a name, which is not available according to the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature, as no type depository was included in the description. The same happened with “Haplopelma vonwirthi” SCHMIDT 2005 and "Haplopelma chrysothrix" SCHMIDT & SAMM 2005, which are unavailable as well.

=> these are all "nomina nuda".

all the best,
Martin