Spider ID Please

NiGHTS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry, but I'm a total spider noob. As me about millipedes, and we can talk...but when it comes to spiders, I don't have a clue.

OK, so on Halloween night I found this interesting spider outside my front door. I live in Northern California, in a rural area near Santa Cruz, and I have never seen a spider like this around my area before. From the body shape, it almost appears to be a tarantula...but again, I haven't a clue. Can anyone out there help me ID this little guy? And does anyone know if this is a local California species?

The spider is about 1 inch in size, and the cage that the spider is in measures 7" x 4", so you can get a visual size reference. The real-life coloration of the spider is a bit more tan in spots, but the picture is pretty close to what he actually looks like.

Thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

NickS1004

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmmm.. looks like one of those shiny grey tunneling spiders ive seen on a few dealer's websites

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is a Calistoga spider. 90% chance a mature male that won't live long. It would be best to let him go where you found him.

taorchard1987

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if youre going to keep him, provide about 4-5" of substrate from the carapace on him it looks like a burrowing sp.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
NickS1004 said:
hmmm.. looks like one of those shiny grey tunneling spiders ive seen on a few dealer's websites
an uncanny resemblance, but the odds are stacked against finding one wild in Cali.

PhormictopusMan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually from what I've been finding (I found a similar spider recently and have a thread about it on this same board.) it is a Calisoga longitarsus, (note no T in the genus.) In some literature it is referred to as Brachythele longitarsus. I found a common name of "funnel-web tarantula". It is from the family Nemesiidae, which is a "cousin" to Theraphosidae. Both are in the group Mygalomorphae and are large and generally primitive.

Some pictures of the specimen I found:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=55264

--Chris

Last edited:

PhormictopusMan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Steven said:
i've been searching for some of those since a long time :)
Never got many respons :p

2 year old topic
I am going to try and get some photos of them in their natural habitat.
We're planning a backpack trip over Thanksgiving weekend, and will be keeping an eye out--I have a suspicion of where we will find them and if its right then they have been right under our noses. Apparantly these guys will make a fanlike web with a tube that goes into a burrow. They commonly build these things along cut roads and burms, or the sides of inclines.

As a note-I find a lot more information on google searches using the spelling longitarsis, versus longitarsus. Im not sure which is correct.

--Chris

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Thanx PhormictopusMan
would really be intrested in some pix of their natural habitats :)

and in the The World Spider Catalog by Norman I. Platnick
there is indeed note of Brachythele longitarsis
but also 3 other Calisoga spec. from the US:
C.centronetha, C.sacra and C.theveneti

def. intresting spiders !!! :D

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I live in the Sacramento Valley and I was told that C. sacra was probably the ones I have. One funny thing to note about these spiders. If you are going to try and find some in the wild, don't use water to try and get them out of their burrow. They are not like a t and will not come out with water.

NiGHTS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
PhormictopusMan - I live up in the Santa Cruz Mountains, near the summit (half way between Los Gatos and Santa Cruz). That's where I found the Calistoga spider. He was sitting outside on the front porch one night. Just out of curiousity, where were you thinking you might be able to see these guys in the wild around our area?

PhormictopusMan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well right now the males are wandering because it seems to be mating season. My thoughts were to check out some places at Henry Coe State Park, as I have planned to be there anyway. I want to also start checking around the local parks near my home in the Cupertino Foothills. I figure if he wandered into my living room, more of him/her can't be far. I'll also ask some of the local rangers--They usually give me some pretty good information.

--Chris