fire in his new home

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
At first I was thinking one of your crits had a fire in its enclosure, shoulda remembered... Nice btw.

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Malkavian said:
Nicely planted. What kind of moss is that?
just that regular spaghnum moss you get at pet stores or garden centers.its temporary till i find live pillowmoss or better.any suggestions where to find great live moss.i tryed blackjungle.com but to no avail

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very beautiful terrarium. I use to keep salamanders like that, but I've had more success keeping them in muck.

It doesn't look as nice, and it sounds crazy, but its effective. My salamanders are kept in a moist mixture of soil and spaghnum. I have a water dish in the tank, but they spend 90% of the time burried in the mud. A vendor at a reptile show talked me into trying it because he had the best success with this setup type.

Add crickets and they poke up their heads to eat while still under the dirt. They walk the surface covered in the muck. Sounds gross, but they are in their element and thriving.

I had a beautiful half land-half water setup with a filter, and my salamanders would last about a year. Now they are going on three years in the mucky muck.