NEWB Help ...

Denisthemenace

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well ... Im totally new to Ts but ive always wanted one. I dont really know much beyond the basics so I have a lot of questions. First off I was wondering what would be the best breed to raise. Something non aggressive, calm, fairly large, colorfull, easily maintained, suitable for New York climate. Obviously the T is going to be kept within the household and will be around 70 F most of the time. My second question is how to care for the specific T that you recommend. How often do you feed it, what to feed it, Humidity level necessary, etc. My third question is housing, what size tank is fit and what kind of substrate, and where can i get it (i was considering a local petstore).

Thank you,
Denis

FOX

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
HIYA DENIS,
I myself is no expert, i have a vast knowledge on wildlife in general but not spiders & have learnt nearlly all about them from these pages & people on here. Many people would say learn b4 you buy but if you have common sense & a basic knowledge to animal care then the people on here will fall backward to help, they are like the bible for T's.
No matter how silly you think your question is it doesn't matter, these guys & gals are here 24/7 for you & your T.

Personally i would go with a g.rosea for starters as 99% are laid back sweet & glow lovelly pink in the light.
You will get lots of advise from lots of people for you, thay are there to help.
Enjoy your T's & welcome to arachnoboards. Jay :)

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would recommend a B. smithi Mexican Redknee (female if you can find one and don't mind paying extra, as females live significantly longer than males). You might also consider a C. cyaneopubesens (Green Bottle Blue). Both are fairly non-aggressive (probably not as docile as a G. rosea), but more colorful, fairly easy to keep, active and interesting, and are reasonably sized (B. smithis actually get quite large when full grown). I have both and they do just fine in the NY climate (as will any species that is kept in a climate controlled environment). I'd also suggest going through the Tarantula photos section or looking at the pics on one of the big dealers sites (you can find them on here) to see what you like, then look into the care for that particular species to see if it meets what you are looking for. Glad to hear that you are interested in tarantulas...they are great pets!

Karen

Denisthemenace

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow there are so many choices .... i was hoping to get something in the non-hair throwing NW species such as Psalmopoeus

Im guessing I just have to keep looking if anything im going to get back to you on my find.

Potatoemoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what you have to understand about Psalmopoeus species is that they are fast, and tend to be more defensive. I would say not a good beginner T. If you want aboreal I would go with a A. versicolor or some other Avic species. Stay away from Pokies for the time being. Generally the Brachy species are the on;y ones that kick hairs really bad, of course all NW species have te capablity of doing so. OW species IMO are a big no no for first timers.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi!
Thats totally induvidual what kind of species a person wants. I can recomend a few species! Brachypelma albopilosa, B smithi or some Avicularia sp. CHEERS!!!///Johan