g. rosea fell!

XdreamXyouX

Arachnopeon
lately, my rosie has been webbing her tank like crazy. i haven't thought anything of it, i just chalked it up to crazy-rosea behavior. or i figured it could have something to do with winter coming up, even though i know it's hard for roseas to distinguish between the seaons. anyways, she's been webbing and this includes the walls of her tank. her previous owner told me she didn't used to climb much, but just recently she's began to climb. i considered raising her substrate but she doesn't seem to climb too high or too often so i just left it as it was. well tonight she was climbing and she fell! she was probably about 3" maybe 3 & 1/2" high. i checked to see if there was any type of fluid oozing but there was none. she stood in the same position for about 5 second and then continued webbing the substrate around her. then she just went inside of her burrow. i can see her front legs but not her abdomin. should i be worried even though there wasn't anything leaking? or could she have injured herself and i just can't tell?

-@};~

Waryur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i had an escaped P. Murinus jump from my cealing from over 5 feet and survive. When i captured him i put him in a small cricket keeper for observation. I wouls suggest that first. If no bleeding go on with life, if you see ooze refer to the surgery section in the forums. good luck

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How long have you had your G. rosea? Also, has it ever molted in your care? If you recently acquired it from a pet shop chances are that it is a wild caught T and that it might be gravid. Excessive webbing from a G. rosea is usually only done when it will be laying an egg sac.

With respect to the fall, did it land on its legs at all? If so, you should be OK. At this point, only time will tell.

XdreamXyouX

Arachnopeon
i've had my rosea for a little over 3 and a half months and she molted just a little over a month after i first got her. i don't know if she was wild caught. but no i didn't get her from a pet store, she was given to me by a friend who had her for over three years and i'm pretty sure he hasn't mated her so i don't think she's gravid.

in regards to the fall, she did land on her legs and there doesn't seem to be any bleeding. should i take these as good signs? i don't want to panic, she's just never fallen in my care before.

Potatoemoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmm well Rosie's tend to be on the strange side. Mine webbed its entire 10gal tank going into premolt. What size is the T? naybe molting again rather quickly of course Rosie's are know for pre-molt periods that gone on forever.

MikeW

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As long as nothing is oozing out you should be okay. My smithi has fallen an inch or two before and got a little freaked out but was otherwise okay. He barely ever climbs now though.

Likewise my genic has falled once or twice. When I first got him he spent a lot of time climbing and hanging out on the ceiling of his deli container, but he was too big to stay there so he fell every time. Not a very far fall, but there wasn't much cushon in there.

Most, if not all, bugs and stuff are pretty durable when it comes to falling. The main problem with tarantulas seems to be their abdomen splitting because the exo there is very thin and the abdomen itself is usually quite fat, meaning the skin is stretched out and more prone to break.

fleshstain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i'd say if it landed on it's legs it's probably okay....i had my female in 55 ga. terrarium for mating purposes for a couple weeks....she would climb the glass and web only around the top....she took a couple falls and one that didn't look too good....everytime she jumped up and started walking around....i think the ground coconut husk substrate helped cushion the falls a bit....

8 legged freak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i had a rosea fall, it fell from about 3' of the cbinet i had it on, and she's stil alive today!! so hopefully there is no internel damage =) which i doubt, tarantulas are very hardy spiders and 3" fall isn't that, much, just keep your eye on her =)

XdreamXyouX

Arachnopeon
thank you to all of you who have responded. i've checked on her and there is still no signs of bleeding, so i think she is going to be ok. i haven't seen her come out of her burrow since the fall, but i have been able to see that she has changed her position many times. i'm guessing she's just shaken up. like i said before, thank you to all of you. i really appreciate your advice and words of reassurence.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You said that she's been doing a lot of webbing and climbing lately - are you sure it's a female? Is it possible that you have a mature male? Any photos?

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have an a.seemanni that climbs upside down on the screen lid in its 10gal cage. I'm worried its going to fall on its rock below and die somtime. I thought of puting some moss in the cage , so if it does ever fall it will be cushioned by the moss.

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Maybe the temperature is too high. In my spider room (I have over 50), when the heat is high, my Ts climb the glass. Once the temp is lowered, everyone goes back to their coves.

T.S.