Coconut fiber?

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've read and searched for most posts about substrate but I'm still wondering if it is safe to use coconut fiber. It seems very loose and if my tarantula burrows I would worry that it would collapse on her. Are there any techniques to making it suitable? I've heard packing it down works. I'm also using half fine ground shavings and half regular coconut fiber shavings.

chemosh6969

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Anubis77 said:
I've read and searched for most posts about substrate but I'm still wondering if it is safe to use coconut fiber. It seems very loose and if my tarantula burrows I would worry that it would collapse on her. Are there any techniques to making it suitable? I've heard packing it down works. I'm also using half fine ground shavings and half regular coconut fiber shavings.
It's fine. They web the walls of their burrow so you don't have to worry about any collapses.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
co-co nut fibre is fine, if you want it more stable mix in some black earth...

Regards, Mike

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies. How dry does it have to be though? Competely?

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It depends on what species you plan on housing, i do what Mike H said I mix black earth with coconut fiber Generally around a 60/40 mix depending on what I am housing.

PhormictopusMan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The coconut fiber is only loose when you first mix it. It gets nice and firm, though still manageable for your T's burrowing interests. I have used it for six years. Its great stuff.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's for a 2 inch G. aureostriata. I've used coconut fiber for most of my herps before and loved it but I wasn't sure about using it for a T.

Here's the enclosure right now.

I've packed the fiber lightly.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I find coco fiber great..
Many T's web their burrows..

the fibers in coco fiber are longer than in peat and soil has almost none..

when the silk is bonded to the longer fibers it helps lock it in..

so I think coco fiber is superior for obligate burrowers..

just my $.02

ALSO I like to add "litter" to the surface so the T's have something to build an entrance with..

my E. pachypus is the Norm Abrahms of burrow entrances..

chemosh6969

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nerri1029 said:
ALSO I like to add "litter" to the surface so the T's have something to build an entrance with..
I do the same. I'll put some terrarium moss in and it usually gets torn apart and used

Crimsonpanther

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Co-Co Nut Fibre is GREAT...I house all of my T's with this and like mike says do a black earth and co co nut fibre mix for your burrowing T's....Even though i packed down my co co nut fibre and my Eucratoscelus pachypus had no problems Burrowing !! :clap:

AussieTkeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We call it coco peat over here but its the same stuff. Its all i use, i mixed mine with 25% reptile sand that seems to hold it together pretty well.

Jase

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How dry does it have to be before I should put her in? It's not wet just fairly moist.

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What species of "T" are you housing? Sorry I see it is a G.Aureostriata a little damp should be ok.

Last edited: