Unexpected Guest

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just a few minutes ago I was typing on the PC when I heard Kilo barking his head off in the back room. I figured that he needed out but when I walked back there he was still barking seemingly at the folding chair that I have in the corner. I saw a tail and put kilo in his kennel.

I removed the chair and found a very annoyed little corn snake. I picked him up and he bit me a few times before I could get him into an enclosure. I'm going to get him hydrated before I release the little bugger in a preserve tomorrow.

Here's a picture (forgive the large aperture, the gin is working on me, I decided against stressing him out to redo it)

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool. I wish i had luck like some people on here. How do you hydrate them?

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm guessing with some water. ;)

Cool find RD.

Darwinsdad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Even though I know we have thousands of those around here I have yet to encounter one...might be due to my dislike of roving around in the dark flipping stuff over as we do have the occasional timber rattler around here as well.

Joe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Darwinsdad said:
Even though I know we have thousands of those around here I have yet to encounter one...might be due to my dislike of roving around in the dark flipping stuff over as we do have the occasional timber rattler around here as well.

Your location says NY. I'm pretty sure corn snakes don't get this far north.

ingas866

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
GA is the most nothern range for that red rat snake. NY has a corn but not that type.

Joe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As far as I know, the only member of Elaphe/Pantherophis that occurs in NY is the black rat.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Obscenity said:
As far as I know, the only member of Elaphe/Pantherophis that occurs in NY is the black rat.

We have eastern milksnakes up this far but I am not sure if they fall in that genus. i am terrible with the latin names.

Joe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hedorah99 said:
We have eastern milksnakes up this far but I am not sure if they fall in that genus. i am terrible with the latin names.

Milksnakes are in the same genus as kingsnakes: Lampropeltis.