help on my new cobalt blue???

ziplok48457

Arachnopeon
could anybody tell me why my new cobalt blue just sits in the corner with its eyes covered? iput 6 inches of potting soil in its cace but it wont burrow and it is very dark blue will it brighten with age?any other info is very much appreciated too thanks!

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Well, as you describe it is pretty much how every cobalt blue I've ever seen looks. The really bright blue pictures you see are often a product of flash photography, which alot of people don't know before buying one. As for the burrowing, how moist is the substrate, and how long has it been in there?

Bill

ziplok48457

Arachnopeon
the soils been in there about aday and i just sprayed it not to long ago so its pretty moist

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cobalts tend to be the brightest right after a molt, and dullest right before (in the ones I've seen, at least). Mine is a very noticable blue, tho very dark. I've seen some that look almost black, especially if it's been awhile since a molt.

Age might have something to do with it too (tho I don't know). How big is it?

I've had mine for about a month, and she still doesn't burrow (tho I keep her cage covered to make it feel nice and dark for her). For the first few days I had her, she also sat with her legs pulled tightly over her carapace, but as she started getting used to her cage, she started stretching out and moving around quite a bit. Give it some time.

-Faunya

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
could anybody tell me why my new cobalt blue just sits in the corner with its eyes covered?
that is what i call the "stress pose". my H. lividum does the same thing for a day or two after i move her.

iput 6 inches of potting soil in its cace but it wont burrow
give her a few days. make sure and keep it moist, but not wet. you might even try starting her burrow for her, to induce her to dig along the glass. otherwise you may find yourself like many here, never seeing your H. lividum. once they burrow you are lucky to see them the few times you do.

it is very dark blue will it brighten with age?
some have better colors than others. i've seen some that dont even look blue at all without the right lighting. its also possible shes in pre-molt. i know mine looks its absolute best just after a molt.
any other info is very much appreciated too thanks!
old world species native to thailand. high humidity requirements, about 75- 80%. looks great, with a nasty disposition. will bite you 3 times before you feel the first bite. needs lots of substrate to burrow in, large shallow water dish. mine has the absolute most impressive threat display in my collection.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Give it a few nights. They are almost always more active at night. My Cobalt sat there motionless the first day I got her, then when I woke up she had burrowed in, never to be seen again until the day she died.

Bill

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had a problem quite similar to yours awhile back, and the best advice i got from here was to make sure that the cage was moist enough, and to cover up the tank with some dark clothing or blanket etc...took awhile, but she finally did settle in.

About the coloration, yep, dark blue that goes electric when exposed at the right angles to good light...its normal...they look better under the camera due to the flash...nice Ts

-e-

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by ziplok48457
could anybody tell me why my new cobalt blue just sits in the corner with its eyes covered? iput 6 inches of potting soil in its cace but it wont burrow and it is very dark blue will it brighten with age?any other info is very much appreciated too thanks!
I brought this up before in other posts regarding burrowing and such. You might want them to burrow now, but just wait a couple months later into the hobbie. You will wish that they don't burrow. Cobalts are great to have, but you never ever get to see them.

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There can be odd individual differences in their behavior. I have a 3" juvenile that stayed down in its' burrow 99% of the time. Three days ago, it filled in its tunnels and is sitting out in plain sight. I've had it for more than a year without any changes in its cage so I haven't a clue about this new behavior. I know it isn't a sexually mature male since it isn't big enough and is bright blue. Why they do what they do....

Karen N.

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
with all my Haplopelmas I pre start a burrow for them.from the top of the soil to the bottom of the cage.Good luck