I.D. me- New Mexico T

SydneySpider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This T was just given to me tonight by a friend. Appearently wild caught in Northwestern New Mexico. I'm thinking mature wandering male. He has the "boxing gloves". He is all black with red hairs on his rump. Any ideas? I'll see if I can get a better picture later. He's a fast little thing!

Attachments

Beccas_824

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Form that picture, it maybe nearly impossible to get a for sure ID on it. A good dorsal view of its abdomen and carapace would be very helpful...

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If thats a regular size deli-cup, than I would say its nice litte UNIDENTIFIED

Aphonopelma sp.

My field partner and I periodically catch those on trips or at home flipping rocks and such.

Beccas_824

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If it was caught in NM then it is more than likely an Aphonopelma of some type.

stubby8th

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh, that's easy . . . he's an Aphonopelma . . . (cough) . . . an Aphonopelma . . . ah . . . well, an Aphonopelma!

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try to get PRECISE local data on that bad boy and when he dies, save him in spirit and send him to a reputable museum so as to someday help an arachnologist who wants to work on all the currently unidentified Aphonopelma.

I urge everybody who finds these kinds of spiders to do that.

SydneySpider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
heyjeyniceid said:
If thats a regular size deli-cup, than I would say its nice litte UNIDENTIFIED

Aphonopelma sp.

My field partner and I periodically catch those on trips or at home flipping rocks and such.

Its an Extra Large Deli Cup I used for my Burmese Brown BirdEater. He's actually quite long in the legs. Plus I'm a scardy cat ;) I like room to work, and room to keep my fingers out of the way.

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
SydneySpider said:
Its an Extra Large Deli Cup I used for my Burmese Brown BirdEater. He's actually quite long in the legs. Plus I'm a scardy cat ;) I like room to work, and room to keep my fingers out of the way.
is the spider still on the small side as opposed to the usual male size of most tarantulas? If so, than save it. If not, than save it still.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Since it's a mature male and you don't know the species, I recommend releasing it back near where you found it.

His days are numbered and right now he only has one thing on his mind. ;) It's best to let him serve his purpose.