Centipede Venom

Pitter

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What is the effect of an encounter with centipede venom anyway? They have entered my house several times and I expect an encounter one of these days is inevitable.

Attachments

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There is a section on the boards about 'bite reports', although that wouldn't be too helpful without a positive ID.

Check your PM box, I sent you a message;)

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
@Pitter

where are you from ?

PS:
seems like i've seen that picture before :?

Pitter

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm in Colombia. I may have posted the same picture a while back. I would still like some feed back on what I can expect from their venom.

324r350

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
painful, swelling, non lethal
general rule of thumb is that the larger the centipede, the worse the bite
some species bite harder though (i believe)
i think you could expect some serious pain from a cetipede over 6 inches in length
ive heard that bites can be painful anywhere from 20 minutes to 12 hours, so I am not certain
naseua and lack of energy can also result within a few hours of being bitten
im fairly new to centipedes, so I think someone else would know better
try checking here

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
search around on google...i had found some interesting stuff on centipede bites a while back when i was researching them. One of the pages, published in the US addressing S. heros bites in Arizona, said that painkillers had little to no effect on the pain but heat helped relieve some of the pain. Very pretty centipede though, hope you don't get bit!

Pitter

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for directing me to the bite reports. Looks like I don't want to get bit and will have to sell the house and move to the city if my wife gets bit. We had one a few days ago in the bedroom and she was so terrified she was speechless and could only point when I asked her what was the matter. Anyway I understand that they don't actually bite but have claws near the head that inject the venom. As a reminder of how many venomous creatures are out there here's an interesting site:

www.miami-dadefirerescue.com go to the antivenom bank

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
they bite just like tarantulas bite...the centipede's fangs are just that, modified legs. A tarantula doesn't really bite you per se...it penetrates your skin with it's fangs and may or may not inject you with venom, it doesn't actually bite you with it's mouth. Same deal with a centipede...fangs penetrate, mouth doesn't do anything :)