Hadrurus arizonensis

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Swifts invertebrates has 20$ H.arizonensis for sale that are between 2-4 inches long. But I was wondering would it would be worth taking the chance of getting a 2 incher because H.a's have difficulty molting in captivity? Is it really impossible to get them to molt?

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
no. I have friend who witnissed a desert hairy molt in captivity. It was wild caught though.

My suggestion to you though, which will probably be the norm as soon as more people start responding is to keep it on sand and small rocks.

When Ive caught them, the natural substrate was composed of hardened dirt (from being rained on and drying out), sand, small rocks, and wood pieces(well, whenever I found them under shrubs or mesquites).

Sm0k3d

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have two H.A's that I bought from golden pheonix exotica. One of them has molted while in my care but lost half of one of its back legs. The other hasnt molted yet.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
woah i didnt know that,
how come H.as have trouble molting in captivity??

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Apparently the conditions are hard to recreate in the captive environment. I've heard that in the wild the hard coarse sand wears away at their exoskelaton over time and makes molting easier. I just want to know if there is anything we can do to make molting go easier for them such as a higher humidity/temp enclosure. Also has anyone had a molt go over well and without any difficulty with this species?

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you'll find that the poeple that say they've never had a problem also LIVE in Arizona....

there have been a few people that have been lucky... hate to say this, but try the search...