Which is this Cyriopagopus schioedtei or Cyriopagopus thorelli ? ?

Crimsonpanther

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey guys i just got my First Earth Tiger not sure which one , i did have a post pertaining to the Cyriopagopus thorelli ....and Martin wanted to know how "in my own words , to i.d both of them apart " I really dont know how so here are some pics martin ... Or anyone for that matter please tell me which Earth Tiger this is , and if the female of this Sp look larger in any way compared to this one ? The T in the pic is approx 4 " Ventrical pics are comming tomarrow ! ;P:clap: Anyways Enjoy em :clap:

Attachments

Last edited:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Doesn't look like a Cyriopagopus sp. to me.

A Haplopelma sp. would be my guess.

Last edited:

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
was going to say neither as well. Earth tiger is just the coined import name that so many asian spiders are coming in labled as. My guess would be H. longipedum just because this seems to be the import influx for the past few months.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
As was pointed out in your other thread on the subject, C. thorelli is unknown (or at least extremely rare) in captivity, and the species in the pet trade that has often been erroneously referred to as C. thorelli is actually C. schioedtei. However, as has been pointed out in this thread, that discussion is irrelevant as you have neither. It should also be pointed out that there is not, and never has been, a species named "H. longipedum" (there is, however, now a H. longipes), and the name "earth tiger" is meaningless and applied to many Asian theraphosid spiders. I will not hazard a guess at what you really have based on photographs, but as Eric pointed out it is likely a Haplopelma species. If it is in fact what the pet trade dubbed Haplopelma sp. "longipedum" it may be H. longipes. But "may be" is worthless.

Cheers, Michael

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well whatever the T may be.....she's a pretty one and mean as heck too lol!

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yea, I'm going to have to say neither, it actually looks like some sort of Haplopelma sp. Though I'm pretty sure there is no difference between C. thorelli and C. shioedtei and it is simply a matter of different people naming the same spider. Don't be bummed though, it's still a damn good looking bug.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Bigboy said:
Though I'm pretty sure there is no difference between C. thorelli and C. shioedtei and it is simply a matter of different people naming the same spider.
And you base this "pretty sure" notion on what?

Both species are valid (Thorell, the namesake of the former described the latter), only C. schioedtei is in the hobby. There is a significant difference between the two species; the problem is NOT different people naming the same spider it is people calling one spider by two different names, one of which is erroneous.

If interested in learning more click here and reference:

Cyriopagopus schioedtei (Thorell, 1891)

Thorell, T. 1891.
Spindlar från Nikobarerna och andra delar af södra Asien.
Kongl. Svenska. Vet.-Acad. Handl. 24(2): 1-149. [p. 11].

Cyriopagopus thorelli (Simon, 1901)

Simon, E. 1901.
On the Arachnida collected during the Skeat expedition to the Malay Peninsula.
Proc. zool. Soc. Lond. 1901(2): 45-84. [p. 45].

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello "Crimsonpanther",

the habitus of your spider in question does not fit the habitus of the known Cyriopagopus species (e.g. as arboreal species Cyriopagopus spp. do have a prominent scopula, which your specimen is missing). It's habitus does fit more to burrowing species like Haplopelma spp.

To narrow down or rule out the above suggested Haplopelma longipes we would need a dorsal photo with streched legs so that we can see the leg length relation of leg I and leg IV. + a close up photo (side view) of tarsus and metatarsus of leg IV would also be helpful (H. longipes does posses some long hairs there).
The posted photos are not good enough to see these character clearly, even I think that I can't see these hairs, so I tend to say, that it's IMO likely not H. longipes.

Another species in the last month often seen in the pet trade labelled as Cyriopagopus paganus / Haplopelma sp. "longipedum" / H. longipes / H. sp. "Vietnam" is a brown colour form of Haplopelma minax. Another possibility your spider could be!

...send me a cast skin (or a dead specimen) and I can tell you more!

all the best,
Martin

Acknowledgements
This post is dedicated to "glock45" – a close friend, who encouraged me to do this outing: I am Robin! =;-)

Last edited:

Crimsonpanther

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks so much for the info ....ill get on those photos but this T is above avg. agrressive and very very fast so getting the photos required are gonna be a task and only take when its ready....sexing pics will be comming tonight...This i also would need help on ...so please help when thread is up in announcements please ...thanks again for your time :clap: :worship:

Crimsonpanther

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you know , that does look like it ?
But im really too un clear on this to be definate!

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wolfy72 said:
Sorry but C.paganus is in the same category as C.thorelli. Ts that are listed as C.paganus probably aren't.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=45348&highlight=Paganus
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=25728&page=2&highlight=Paganus
There are other threads on this you can find them using the search function on the bar at the top of the page.

Also I think Martin ruled out the Genus Cyriopagopus. The scopula are not similar to arboreal scopula.

Last edited:

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Crimsonpanther

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes Yes Thank you everyone for sharing there knowledge and definatly I.D'ing my newest Addition C. paganus (The Asian Chevron)My next Question is Which sex is It ? I currently have a Post in the Announcements Thread asking for anyones help with Ventrically sexing my C. paganus . http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=56434
Most People Say Female...What do you guys think ?:?
All answers are appreciated....:clap:

(My spelling is horrible sorry :8o )

Last edited:

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Crimsonpanther said:
Yes Yes Thank you everyone for sharing there knowledge and definatly I.D'ing my newest Addition C. paganus (The Asian Chevron))
It hasn't been definitely identified as a C. paganus. If you read back over Michael (Spidershoppe) and Martins threads, they tell you why it is not a C. paganus. As did David Burns just a couple of posts up. The consensus seems to be that you have some sort of Haplopelma sp, H. longipes or H. sp. "Vietnam". They are quite often sold under the name C. paganus. I don't know why Swifty has C. paganus listed on his site, but his most likely are not C. paganus either.
The only way to ID this spider definitively, is to wait for a molt and send it to someone who will be able to ID it that way.

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

...seems that it's time again to lean back with a bag of popcorn...

Cheers,
Martin

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Martin H. said:
Hi,

...seems that it's time again to lean back with a bag of popcorn...

Cheers,
Martin

OMG Martin, you need to buy STOCK in the popcorn company!!!{D

I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to the species. If I had to GUESS genus, I would GUESS Haplopelma.

The pet stores in California who carry Ts have been getting tons of what THEY label H. longipedum for about the past 6 months. I've purchased a couple, as WC, I've no expectation of longevity, but none of them has lasted longer than a month or two.

I'm not buying ANYTHING in the genus until next year, when, hopefully, some DEFINITELY IDed slings will start showing up in the hobby.

Martin, will you please pass the butter?;)

fleshstain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
SpiderShoppe said:
As was pointed out in your other thread on the subject, C. thorelli is unknown (or at least extremely rare) in captivity, and the species in the pet trade that has often been erroneously referred to as C. thorelli is actually C. schioedtei. However, as has been pointed out in this thread, that discussion is irrelevant as you have neither. It should also be pointed out that there is not, and never has been, a species named "H. longipedum" (there is, however, now a H. longipes), and the name "earth tiger" is meaningless and applied to many Asian theraphosid spiders. I will not hazard a guess at what you really have based on photographs, but as Eric pointed out it is likely a Haplopelma species. If it is in fact what the pet trade dubbed Haplopelma sp. "longipedum" it may be H. longipes. But "may be" is worthless.

Cheers, Michael
i agree with michael....i think it's a H. longipes....

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
fleshstain said:
i agree with michael....i think it's a H. longipes....
Just to clarify... I didn't say it was H. longipes, although it may be. I am not qualified to identify a spider via photograph ;) However, based on many years of selling spiders that look astonishlingly like the one in the photo, which have been sold by US livestock importers incorrectly as Cyriopagopus paganus for years, and is also occasionally called H. sp. "longipedum", I will state that it is NOT the aforementioned species or pseudospecies but IS whatever is sold in the trade as such [von Wirth & Striffler's description of Haplopelma longipes does, however, mention that the new species is known in the pet trade as H. sp. "longipedum"]. I will also go way out on a limb and say that it is a member of the genus Haplopelma. As for Swifty's photo identification, he is a dealer, not a taxonomist - just like me. He labeled a photo with a name that is used in the trade for that spider. He was wrong, but not intentionally or knowingly. I have a disclaimer on my site that the photos are named to the best of my ability, but the depicted spiders have not been accurately identified by a theraphosid spider taxonomist/systematist. However, that should go without saying... don't mistake websites for peer-reviewed scientific journals.

I don't eat popcorn... is it alright if I just lick a stick of butter?

Cheers, Michael

Last edited: