REALLY feed my sling all it eats?

Nike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a one-inch LS sling of Thrixopelma Pruriens. I`ve read and heard that it`s good to feed them pretty much as much as they will eat,to accelerate their growing and so on. Now my spider has eaten 6 crickets in 4 days; 5 of those were maybe 1/5 in size of the spider,but the last one was more like 2/3. So is this OK,or is it just too much?

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its actually not good to accelerate their growth, unless you really really want to get them big fast. Also, increased temperatures go with doing that. For one, it might shorten their lifespan, it definitely will if its a male. They will more easily rupture when they fall due to their obesity, and they can rupture from just eating too nice. And also it just doesnt look nice when they are dragging a whale sized butt around. I feed my slings at the most a cricket per week, although its more like every two weeks since i need to come home from college and do it, and they have very full abdomins. I dont keep them in a warm room though, and the crickets are relatively large. IMO you are feeding too much. However, u say u r feeding food 1/5 the size. If you truly are, then i suppose its not that bad. How is the abdomin looking?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nike said:
I have a one-inch LS sling of Thrixopelma Pruriens. I`ve read and heard that it`s good to feed them pretty much as much as they will eat,to accelerate their growing and so on. Now my spider has eaten 6 crickets in 4 days; 5 of those were maybe 1/5 in size of the spider,but the last one was more like 2/3. So is this OK,or is it just too much?

it's hard to say just based on numbers

but i have seen pics of spiderlings that are GROSSLY overfed... their abdomens look distended and you can see what looks like veins and stretch marks

i have a hard time believing that level of feeding is not harmful

but a pleasantly fat abdomen would probably help the spider achieve good size in good time

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I feed my slings a cricket everyother day.

-Matty

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Another controversial subject! Some believe you can overfeed, some don't. I personally have never seen a T die from eating too much. I feed my Ts as much as they will eat, and none have over-distended opsithomas. Perhaps in the wild, when they don't know when they will have their next meal, they will eat anything that moves, but I guess mine all know that crix will fall from the sky once a week!:D

Nike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think the sling had just molded before I got it,and the belly was quite small. Now it has grown some,but I wouldn`t say it`s by any means big. And yes,the crickets have been quite small,as I haven`t been sure how big this guy can handle. But based on the ferocity it showed today with the big one,I think it could handle one his own size. I think I`ll try putting up somekind of feeding schedule,like twice a week.
Another funny thing about this guy is that worms and maggots don`t interest it in the slightest. I`ve tried 4 or 5 times,but with no luck. Those crickets,on the other hand,never know what hit them ;P